Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choosing an External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 slyblackdragon

slyblackdragon

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:41 PM

O.K., so my computer is really starting to crap out on me. I had a slave drive set up to hold my data for times like these, but it died. Now I am looking into getting an external hard drive to backup my data and keep my HD with my OS on it as neat and clean as possible. I am looking for some recommendations. I don't have a whole lot of money to spend on one, but I want the best quality HD I can afford. I don't need a large amount of storage space, but I do want around 250 GB plus just in case I need it in the future.

On newegg.com I see this one and for 400 GB of storage, it seems like a great deal http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136340

Honestly though, I don't know a whole lot on the subject and don't want to buy something that is going to die on my anytime soon.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:35 PM

That's a excellent deal compared to prices outside. If your going to look for stability, i'd go for Western Digital, Seagate, or Maxtor. Since your looking for about 250, I'd go with either the newegg link you have there, or a MyPassport, for 250 or 320.

If not, Seagate has 500's.
Maxtor's are pretty much the same as WD, only a bit more pricey. For 70 dollars, a 400 is excellent.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:47 AM

Maxtor's are pretty much the same as WD.

Er... Maxtor is more like Seagate since they now own Maxtor. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:17 AM

Maxtor's are pretty much the same as WD.

Er... Maxtor is more like Seagate since they now own Maxtor. :thumbsup:

Really? Oh wow. Need to keep up with my brands. Anyways, they all work the same way, the only difference would be the style of it and the size of the drive.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:44 AM

Let's see... there are ATA, PATA, SATA, caches of 8MB, 16MB, 32MB, there are transfer rates of 100Mb/s, 150Mb/s, 300Mb/s, there are RPMS of 5400, 7200, 10000, and 15000, then you have your 2.5" and 3.5", and lastly there are longitudinal writing and perpendicular writing, after that their pretty much all the same. :thumbsup:

Edited by dc3, 07 March 2009 - 10:45 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 slyblackdragon

slyblackdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:58 PM

Let's see... there are ATA, PATA, SATA, caches of 8MB, 16MB, 32MB, there are transfer rates of 100Mb/s, 150Mb/s, 300Mb/s, there are RPMS of 5400, 7200, 10000, and 15000, then you have your 2.5" and 3.5", and lastly there are longitudinal writing and perpendicular writing, after that their pretty much all the same. :thumbsup:

So is this a good buy or not?

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:38 PM

Any WD, or Seagate drive you choose, would be a good buy.
They both produce quality products.
Just pick one that has the storage capacity you need, at the price you can afford.
I'm partial to Seagate, due to the 5 yr. warranty. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:16 PM

I have a WD Passport 250 and have no issues. Pick a size that suits your needs.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#9 VIDEOGUY!

VIDEOGUY!

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:43 AM

Yes, Seagate has a 5 year warranty. My HD crapped out after 3 years and they replaced it at no charge. The only cost to me was shipping the HD to them, they covered the shipping for the new one to me. Time to complete entire process less than 10 days.

#10 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:39 AM

If you would like an external to last a long time remember that drives are fragile devices and externals are not protected by the armor and weight of a PC. They do not like to be knocked down so use it a location where it is not likely to be knocked down and if it does get bumped it will not fall off a desk. I leave my sitting way under my desk away from my feet. It is possible to damage them with static electricity so touch a ground source before attaching or removing connectors. Don't touch the metal parts of connectors. If the manufacture recommends mounting upright do it as laying on the side may overheat them. Some say that the larger drives of 1Tb are not as reliable. There is probably some truth to this as the density factor complicates things but if I needed 1Tb I would buy it. They probably said the same thing about my 120Mb drive that I bought when it was the biggest one out there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users