Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Thunderbird with school's Gmail account

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 luie620

luie620

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:54 PM

At the beginning of the semester, my school switched their email server to a gmail server. I tried creating an account in thunderbird under the school email. If I set it up as a gmail account, I'm only able to my user name as the "@gmail.com" portion is already filled. Only problem is the school email is still "user@school.edu" rather than "@gmail.com"

I then tried creating it as a normal email account. I was able to add the proper email address and used the same settings I used when setting up my person gmail account. Now when I try to retrieve my messages, I get an error stating the server pop.gmail.com responded username and password not accepted.

So I guess my question would be how could I set up my school's gmail account to work with thunderbird. I know it could be done I just don't know how to properly set it up.

Now when it comes to setting up an email client I usually like to stay away. I always get confused and give up. So if all help could be kept simple and painless I'd appreciate it!

Many thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:27 PM

Hmmm... have you tried using pop.school.edu (or just school.edu) instead of pop.gmail.com?

#3 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:10 PM

I just tried pop.school.edu and it failed to connect. Then I tried school.edu and it timed out.

Hmm I'm sure it's something really simple too.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:10 PM

Hmm. Does your school provide information about how to set up the e-mail client for their e-mail? I suspect there is a special port number the school uses to connect to the g-mail server and a specialized server name which undoubtedly has changed since they changed servers.

So the issues are: Server name, port number, and outgoing server and security connection type. The school should have that information.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:22 PM

Take a look at this tutorial: http://raijinshou.co.cc/thunderbird-settin...tom-own-domain/

#6 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:36 PM

Hmm. Does your school provide information about how to set up the e-mail client for their e-mail? I suspect there is a special port number the school uses to connect to the g-mail server and a specialized server name which undoubtedly has changed since they changed servers.

So the issues are: Server name, port number, and outgoing server and security connection type. The school should have that information.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

I just emailed tech support from school. Hopefully I found the right email address! Even the support website looked outdated! I'll wait until next week for a reply.

Take a look at this tutorial: http://raijinshou.co.cc/thunderbird-settin...tom-own-domain/

I actually had everything set up exactly the same way but it still won't work. I found a separate help section from Google for users of GoogleApps which I think is what my school is now a part of. The setup is almost the same except one or two differences. The only bad thing is it still won't work! I get the same error.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users