Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

regedit

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Compmon123

Compmon123

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 07 June 2005 - 06:31 PM

Hello... Well to begin with.. whenever i try to run regedit for whatever reason, a window pops up saying

"Windows cannot find 'regedit.exe' you may have typed the name incorrectly in the Run dialog, or another open program cannot find a system file. To search for a file click the start button and then click search"

Can anyone help me? Thnx in advanced.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Compmon123

Compmon123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2005 - 08:04 PM

i recently downloaded another program to acces my registry files, but its only a trial version... so if u need me to acces my registry so that i can then... access my registry...lol... then tell me...lol

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:09 AM

What is your operating system? Have you done a search for regedit? Do you have a CD with the OS on it?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 Compmon123

Compmon123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 01:03 AM

windows me....the search came up with three... cnh...hlp... and another one... not exe... and finally no i dont have a cd for my os

#5 caterbro

caterbro

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 11 June 2005 - 01:29 AM

there are several viruses which can cause this sort of thing to happen.

not to worry, your C:\Windows folder has many mighty things within it. you need to re-extract the regedit program from the compressed archive files that Windows uses during it's install.

use the Run command and type 'msconfig; at the bottom of the window, click on 'extract file from archive' or whatever. type 'regedit.exe' in the box that just opened.

when it asks you where to 'restore from', type 'C:\windows\options\install\CAB'

and save in C:\windows\system. skip the backup option, and you're good to go.

or, download regedit here and unzip to your C:\ drive.

Edited by caterbro, 11 June 2005 - 01:30 AM.

Carl
----
Official puter fixer :D

#6 Compmon123

Compmon123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 02:09 AM

k thanx i got regeit now. awesome... now how do i get it to run so that when i go to start>run>regedit it works? I need it to upgrade my firewall

Edited by Compmon123, 11 June 2005 - 02:09 AM.

#7 Compmon123

Compmon123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 02:13 AM

nvm i got it to work again... thanks again for your enourmous help... no 1 else could give me a straight answer... or i mean no 1 else thats not part of bc... thanx again... later

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users