Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with IDE drive.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sharpes

Sharpes

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:36 PM

I'm not really good with these things, so bear with me. =)

I finished putting together my new PC last week and decided today to finally get around to placing my old HD in my new PC as well. I mounted it underneath my new SATA drive, attached the IDE cable both to the HD and mobo, and plugged in the PSU cable. Problem is the BIOS isn't recognizing the HD, and I really don't know what to do now. Damnit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,735 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:47 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

If you only have the one IDE connector...I would suggest connecting the hard drive on the end connector, with the optical drive on the "middle" connector.

That's what the motherboard/BIOS expects to find.

If you use Master/Slave...the master is the hard drive, the slave is the optical. If you use Cable Select settings, both must reflect C/S.

If you don't have an IDE optical...just ignore :flowers:.

Louis

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:40 PM

Whats the make and model of the New motherboard and the HDD. We can look up the manuals and give you additional information if needed.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Sharpes

Sharpes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:42 AM

hamlius, you have no idea how much that didn't make sense to me, lol. :thumbsup:

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128380
SATA HD (new): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136010

The old IDE HD is some Seagate. That's about all I know. I could open it up and look if it's really needed.

#5 Sharpes

Sharpes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:54 PM

Turns out the IDE cable wasn't plugged in all the way. :flowers: Lol, I feel so dumb. Thanks anyway guys. :thumbsup:

Edited by Sharpes, 07 March 2009 - 01:54 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,735 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:28 PM

Glad you solved it...never feel dumb when an easy solution presents itself, happy computing :thumbsup:.

I won't tell you about the time that I spent trying to boot a system...when I had turned off the power supply :flowers:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users