Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ip address

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ronvit

ronvit

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:31 PM

I have an HP Presario 6000 Desktop hat has stopped going on the Internet. My ISP said the computer does not receive a good ip address. The Ethernet connection is working fine. What would you suggest as the problem and possible cure?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:25 PM

Hello ronvit and welcome to the forum.

The Ethernet connection is working fine.

How do you know this if your unable to connect to the internet? also when did this problem start to occur?

There is a few things I would like to go through firstly and a few possible fixes that may fix your issue.
  • Click start and goto run
  • In the run box type in "devmgmt.msc" without quotation marks and press enter
  • Look under network adapters and let us know if any yellow marks are there.
If any yellow marks are presant you will need to install the ethernet drivers and you may need to restart your computer although you should be fine.
  • Click start and goto run
  • In the run box type in "cmd" without the quotation marks and press enter
  • Type in ipconfig /release and press enter
  • next type ipconfig /renew and press enter
  • Now type exit and try to connect to this internet
Regards

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:27 PM

Go to Network Connections in Control Panel, put the mouse/cursor on the connection.

What is reflected as the IP address and subnet mask?

IP address should be something like: 192.168.1.xxx, while subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0.

Have you tried resetting the router/modem...by unplugging the power cord for a few seconds and then plugging it back in?

Louis

#4 ronvit

ronvit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:50 AM

All of the steps you suggested, we have tried with no success. Each time we type in the release command we come up with all 0's but still cannot get a new ip address, thus no Internet connection.

#5 Geneva

Geneva

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:15 PM

All of the steps you suggested, we have tried with no success. Each time we type in the release command we come up with all 0's but still cannot get a new ip address, thus no Internet connection.

After a power outtage, when power was restored I could not get on the net. I ran a "Netstat -an* and found that a Black Hole ip at 196.xxx.xxx was listed as the connection point for UDP port 123. This port is normally the loopback port for Netuser to assign the normal router ip 192.168.x.x. My firewall was preventing the export of the netuser.dat.

I really do not understand what was happening and to me it appears to be a exploit......even though I do not detect any Malware or virus.

It is like having a two party telephone line that is shareing one's info with a unknown (hacker?)

It seems like this unknown ip was connected at the time of the power outage and the computer tried to connect when power was restored. This same situation has occured whenever I do a scan and have the computer automaticly shutdown following the scan.

Since netuser.dat contains all of the information contained in this computers regestry it seems like maybe a rogue DLL, OCX or script could be the culprit.

If one of the computer mods have more information, I would appreciate it as I no longer feel safe computing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users