Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slower performance

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 jaysnzees

jaysnzees

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:27 PM

I notice that when i right click and open in a new window or in a new tab that it is slower to open and I cannot right click on a link until the previous tab is finished.

What could be causing my problem?

thank you in advance for your help
js
What is thy bidding? My Master?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:40 PM

What browser are you using?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

IE7

I scanned for virus', did the Windows Disk Cleanup, ran Chkdsk and its a little better. The wait for links remains the same.

I have a Webroot Spyware Sweep and Norton 360. The Norton 360 will not start up in the bottom tray, and when I double click it I get a quinck hour glass and then nothing. I also get a Email Attachments Shield Communications Error on the Webroot Sweeper. I don't know if these are related to the slow performance or not. I have removed some Trojan items using Malwarebyte's and some others with SUPER Antispyware, so I was also wondering if there is something left behind from those two items. They were updated and I ran quick and full scans with both (but i didn't save the logs)

Any ideas?
js

#4 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:19 PM

How long ago did you scan your computer with MBAM and SAS?

And how much RAM do you have? Hard Drive? Processor?
There's a possibility you might have remnants of those trojans.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#5 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:12 PM

I ran the scans this morning. I don't remember where to find the other info you asked me about.

#6 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:48 PM

Most information will be found here:

Start--> Control Panel--> System and Maintenance--> System.

Hard Drive is Start--> My Computer--> Right Click Local Disk (C: )

#7 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:18 PM

Dell Dimension DIME521 AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual
Core Precessor 3800+ 1.80 Ghz, 1.00 GB of RAM

#8 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:59 AM

Dell Dimension DIME521 AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual
Core Precessor 3800+ 1.80 Ghz, 1.00 GB of RAM

Is this a Vista or XP?
If it's Vista, you may need more RAM. 1GB is the plain MINIMUM.

#9 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:01 AM

no i am running XP. last week my pc was great...I mean I have used this for years with minor problems, since I found that trojans and removed them is when I noticed the change.

help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope

#10 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:58 PM

IE7

I scanned for virus', did the Windows Disk Cleanup, ran Chkdsk and its a little better. The wait for links remains the same.

I have a Webroot Spyware Sweep and Norton 360. The Norton 360 will not start up in the bottom tray, and when I double click it I get a quinck hour glass and then nothing. I also get a Email Attachments Shield Communications Error on the Webroot Sweeper. I don't know if these are related to the slow performance or not. I have removed some Trojan items using Malwarebyte's and some others with SUPER Antispyware, so I was also wondering if there is something left behind from those two items. They were updated and I ran quick and full scans with both (but i didn't save the logs)

Any ideas?
js

Hi js,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

The issues you are having are most likely due to the fact that you have too many security programs installed, which can cause conflicts with Norton 360. It is strongly advised that you remove Webroot Spyware and Super Antispyware, as they are most likely conflicting with Norton 360's ability to protect your computer.

After you remove these programs, open Norton 360 by going to "Start,"-> "All Programs"->, Norton 360. Click on the "PC Security" bubble and then choose "Check for updates," which will ensure that you have the latest patches and definition files applied to Norton. When the updates are complete, perform a "Comprehensive Scan" with Norton 360 to check for infections.

Please follow the steps I listed and then let me know if you have problems with Norton 360 after removing the other programs, updating and running a scan.

Thank you,
Mike
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

#11 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:56 PM

I SAS program is a free program someone suggested I download for help find a problem I once had, I used it, it worked and I kept it on the PC, just in case so i wouldn't have to download it. It loads in the system tray,but as far as i know it doens't really monitor anything. But I have no [roblem deleting it, since it was the freebie.

Webroot however I am invested into a contact, it's my spyware sweeper, and the Norton 360 looks for everything but spyware. That was sugggested to me by Dell. They felt I needed 2 separate programs. I prolly got hosed.

#12 Michael York

Michael York

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:11 PM

I SAS program is a free program someone suggested I download for help find a problem I once had, I used it, it worked and I kept it on the PC, just in case so i wouldn't have to download it. It loads in the system tray,but as far as i know it doens't really monitor anything. But I have no [roblem deleting it, since it was the freebie.

Webroot however I am invested into a contact, it's my spyware sweeper, and the Norton 360 looks for everything but spyware. That was sugggested to me by Dell. They felt I needed 2 separate programs. I prolly got hosed.

Hi jaysnzees,

Norton 360 does indeed have antivirus, spyware and other protection features. The most important thing to do is to make sure that you configure Norton 360's settings to provide you with the strongest security. Most importantly, you should make sure that automatic updates are turned "On" and that you schedule "Comprehensive Scans" at times when you are not using your computer.

The technician who advised you to install another real-time product such as Spysweeper along with Norton 360 is incorrect. The rule of thumb is that you never want to have more than one real-time antivirus/internet security application installed at the same time, as they can cause conflicts which can allow threats to infect a computer.

In your posting, you also mention that your computer was previously infected with Trojans. Please let me know the names of the Trojan infections that were found. Even if you were able to remove the threat, Trojan infections can still cause problems with your computer. Please read the following Symantec document which explains the different types of infections.

Explanation of the difference between viruses, worms, and Trojans

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by Michael York, 10 March 2009 - 05:17 PM.

Michael York
Symantec Corporation

#13 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:30 PM

Mike,
The Dell tech advised me to run everything on Norton 360 except the spyware program. Then have the Webroot for only the spyware. So I did not have 2 spyware programs. I beileved him, but he may have just been trying to sell me software that i in fact did not need.

I have removed the programs you suggested, and the Webroot spyware. I was unsucessful in opening norton 360 though. It would give me a quick hour glass and then nothing. So i uninstalled it totally, then re-installed it. Since my key code is good until June everything came up fine so far. I am running Disk Optimization, and when that is finished I will do what you have suggested.

#14 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:38 PM

When I deleted the Malware and SAS programs, they left behind folders (containing the logs of the Trojans that were removed no doubt) and I deleted them. Sorry.

#15 Michael York

Michael York

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:37 PM

When I deleted the Malware and SAS programs, they left behind folders (containing the logs of the Trojans that were removed no doubt) and I deleted them. Sorry.

Hi jaysnzees,

It's OK that you deleted the folders left behind by the other programs since Norton 360 will be providing you with real-time protection going forward.

Norton 360 will alert you to any infections it finds and I suggest that you schedule a "Comprehensive Scan" at least weekly, at a time when you are not using your computer. Just make sure that "Automatic Updates" are enabled so that you automatically receive the latest updates.

I also wanted to let you know that since your subscription is still active, you are entitled to a free update to the newly released Norton 360 version 3.0, which is highly encouraged. This new version contains many new and enhanced features and it uses very little system resources.

Please NOTE that this will update you to Norton 360 3.0 but will not extend your subscription. Please follow the steps below to update to Norton 360 3.0.

1. Make note of your current Activation key which will be used to activate Norton 360 3.0

2. Visit the Norton 360 3.0 update page and download the installer.

Norton 360 3.0 free update

3. Once you have completed the installation, launch Norton 360 3.0, then mouse-over the "PC Security" bubble and select "Check for Updates." This process will not only download and install any available updates, but will also invoke the new "Pulse Updates" feature, which will check for and install updates in the background every 5-15 minutes, as long as you are connected to the internet.

Thanks,
Mike

Edited by Michael York, 11 March 2009 - 02:10 PM.

Michael York
Symantec Corporation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users