Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

0x0000007B STOP Error @ Windows XP Home Installation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Snyder

Snyder

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:40 AM

I am trying to install Windows XP Home Edition and I am getting a blue screen detailing a STOP error after it apparently loads all drivers and gets to the last part where it should start the installation. The error is something like: STOP: 0x0000007B (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4) - I know it is not the hard drive, because I am currently trying to install is on a 320GB IDE hard drive, and before I was attempting to install it on a 640GB SATA hard drive.

Here is the exact hard drive I am trying to install it on:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...&lid=627063

Here is my computer. It is a Gateway DX4720-03:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16883113078

Here are my computer details, as EVEREST tells:
http://www.csnyder.us/desktop.htm

Can anyone please help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

Hi Snyder, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

What shape is the disk in, is it clean and free of scratches?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Snyder

Snyder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:30 PM

Hi Snyder, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

What shape is the disk in, is it clean and free of scratches?

Yes. It is brand new. The installation didn't work on a drive that is currently running Vista just fine, so I don't think it's that.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:34 PM

You can not install XP over Vista, you would have to wipe the hdd first or install it on another partition.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Snyder

Snyder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:59 PM

You can not install XP over Vista, you would have to wipe the hdd first or install it on another partition.

I have Vista on one hard drive. I've recently installed a new hard drive and want XP on it, there is no current connection between the two.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:12 PM

The following information is from Microsoft.

If you receive one of these error messages while you are installing Windows XP, update the computer BIOS or obtain Windows XP drivers for your hard disk controller (from the manufacturer of your computer, system board, or hard disk controller), or do both. For information about how to update your computer's BIOS or obtain Windows XP drivers, contact your computer manufacturer. For additional information about the availability of drivers, see the* Device Driver Issues section in this article.

*To read about Device Driver Issues use the link above to find this article, scroll down the page to find it.

#7 Snyder

Snyder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:38 PM

The following information is from Microsoft.

If you receive one of these error messages while you are installing Windows XP, update the computer BIOS or obtain Windows XP drivers for your hard disk controller (from the manufacturer of your computer, system board, or hard disk controller), or do both. For information about how to update your computer's BIOS or obtain Windows XP drivers, contact your computer manufacturer. For additional information about the availability of drivers, see the* Device Driver Issues section in this article.

*To read about Device Driver Issues use the link above to find this article, scroll down the page to find it.

I can do that, but how do I install drivers on a completely blank hard drive?

#8 Guest_tylerisdabest_*

Guest_tylerisdabest_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:43 PM

I have an alternative for a new drive, virtual pc, you can put any operating system on it and it free and takes little space.

but Iím just suggesting that

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:33 PM

OK.

Does your BIOS reflect this drive correctly?

Are you trying to install XP...with no other unnecessary drives (external, flash, hard) connected? Such sometimes will interfere with an attempted install.

Louis

#10 Snyder

Snyder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:46 PM

OK.

Does your BIOS reflect this drive correctly?

Are you trying to install XP...with no other unnecessary drives (external, flash, hard) connected? Such sometimes will interfere with an attempted install.

Louis

My BIOS does show this drive and I attempted installation with only my keyboard plugged in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users