Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps restarting, problem with registry

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 raynleila

raynleila

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:59 AM

hi, my comp is running on windows xp. when i try to boot my comp, a blue screen appear and my comp with restart. i try to go into save mode but cannot too.

the error message is show below:
STOP: C0000218 {Registry Fail Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\DEFAULT
or uts log or alternate
It is corrupt, absent or not writable.

I search on the web and saw solutions like using recovery console but i do not own a window xp cd, is there any other way i can solve this? Please help, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:14 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Please read all instructions and warnings contained in the link...before attempting any of these procedures.

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_stop.htm

Louis

#3 raynleila

raynleila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:32 AM

hi, thanks for replying. I don't know if my system has OEM or not. I try to use the "last know good configuration file" method but it did not work. what should i do now?

is it compulsory to have the cd?

Edited by raynleila, 06 March 2009 - 10:32 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:10 PM

An OEM system is one of two things:

a. A "brand-name" system such as one put together by Dell, HP, eMachines, etc. The vendor/manufacturer is responsible for providing support of such systems (drivers, assistance, etc.). The XP license is provided by the vendor, with the tag normally affixed to the system sold.

b. A system put together by user (such as me) which has the MS OEM version (now known as System Builder) of XP installed, which I personally acquired the license to by purchasing XP from a retailer. The user is responsible for providing support for such systems (installing, troubleshooting, drivers, etc.).

Louis

#5 raynleila

raynleila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:02 AM

Mine's a IBM laptop, so i think mine's a OEM too (not really sure). How do i back up my file? What do i have to do next?

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:15 AM

My suggestion would be to contact IBM via telephone or web-site a request recovery CD's for the exact make and model of your laptop. They may charge a small fee ($20 bucks or so) but it is worth it...Once you have the recovery discs then you should be good to go to complete the repair of your OS...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#7 raynleila

raynleila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:46 AM

do i need to back up my data, how do i do it?

#8 raynleila

raynleila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:20 AM

Hi i can use Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 Utility: Setup Disks for Floppy Boot Install from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
I need the recovery console, can i download it to a floppy disk or anything. My cd-rom is not working.

#9 raynleila

raynleila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:46 AM

can anyone answer my questions, pls help.....

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:40 AM

What is the model of this IBM laptop?

Have you contacted IBM to see if they would send you a installation disk? For a small fee they usually will.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 raynleila

raynleila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:56 AM

my ibm model is thinkpad x24. i used to have a installation disk but i lost it, was wondering if there was any download i can obtain online so i don't have to obtain another installation disk.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:02 AM

Did you try to use the F8 method to access the Last Known Good Configuration? If you have and it didn't work then you will need to access the Recovery Console, and to do that you will need the installation disk, there is no other way that I know of.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 raynleila

raynleila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:31 AM

Hi, i finally get my windows to load. i have create a XP Quick Boot Diskette from www.bootdisk.com and insert the diskette when it start up and it seem to have solve the problem.

thanks for all your help too. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users