Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Ram to get?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Indy452

Indy452

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:34 AM

I have an IBM M50 8189 thinkcentre. It shipped with only 256mb of pc2700 ram and I would like to upgrade to at least 1GB. I have shopped around and found two types available for this machine, PC2700 or PC3200. I'm not sure which to get. Can anyone suggest which is better/faster as I'm not real knowledgeable in this dept.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:25 AM

From the Lenovo [IBM] site for your model

When installing memory modules, the following rules apply:
System memory is divided into two channels (channel A and B ).
memory connectors 1 and 2 are channel A, and memory connectors 3 and 4 are channel B.
If memory connectors 1 and 3 (or 2 and 4) are filled with the same technology and size of memory, the system operates in dual channel mode.
Use 2.5 V, 184-pin, 333 MHz double data rate synchronous dynamic random access memory (DDR SDRAM). v Use 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB or 1.0 GB (when available) memory modules in any combination.

Based on that I would buy a PC2700 2 X 1GB = 2GB Dual Channel memory kit.
I would leave the 256MB stick out & put a 1GB stick in memory slots 1 & 3 so it would operate in dual channel mode.

If you can't figure out which slots are 1 & 3 put the memory in any 2 slots with 1 empty slot between them

If the smily guy is still there ignore him !

Edited by fairjoeblue, 06 March 2009 - 10:27 AM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Indy452

Indy452
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:34 AM

Thanks for the info! I will get the 2700 then. I'm sure I can manage the slot order. I appreciate this.

I guess its just a bit confusing when you have so many backward compatible memory modules anymore. I'm pretty sure the pc2700 was more affordable as well. Its a wxp system and so I'm not really opening several programs at once so the fastest ram isn't necessary either.

Thanks again.

#4 Indy452

Indy452
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:01 AM

One more quick question, will this IBM motherboard support low density ram? Or should I get the more compatible high density ram? (big price diff)

Thanks again!

Heres a link to what I'm looking at on e-bay.....maybe someone can tell me if this will work or not because quite frankly I'm not sure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2GB-2-X-1GB-PC2700-333...%3A1%7C294%3A50

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:25 AM

"One more quick question, will this IBM motherboard support low density ram? Or should I get the more compatible high density ram? (big price diff)"

Actually, You have that bacwards !

Low density memory will work in about anything & has great compatibilty.

"High density" memory only works properly with certain chipsets.
High density memory will usually work on motherboards that have chipsets not designed for it but only half of the memory will be recognized.

To pretty much insure compatibility stick with the low density. :thumbsup:
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:40 AM

Do NOT buy that memory on ebay !
Not only does the seller have a bad rating but the "high density" memory sold on ebay is made with "off brand" chips that are in a odd configuration.

If I were buying the memory here is what I'd get,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231039

It is PC3200, not PC2700, but is backwards compatible.
When installed in a motherboard that takes PC2700 it will default to that speed.
The reason I would get the PC3200 & not PC2700 is I looked at both & the PC3200 is about $20. less & will work just as well .

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:45 PM

The PC3200 is the faster of the two modules.

This motherboard is capable of running in dual channel which effectively makes the RAM twice as fast. In order to run in dual channel properly you need to have matched modules in pairs, this means that they have to have exactly the same specifications. There is a specific way that the modules need to be installed (populated) in order to run in dual channel. The easiest way to find out which ones is to look at the expansion slots, dual channel motherboards usually will have two different colored sets of slots, just make sure that the two modules go into the same colored slots starting from slot number one or A.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Indy452

Indy452
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:33 AM

I ended up purchasing PC3200 low density nonecc 400mhz 2GB ram (two 1gb sticks)

As for my motherboard supporting dual channel?? All four slots are of the same color, so do I need to place these in slot 1 & 3 like mentioned before? Or should I just put them in slots 1&2?

Thanks!!

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:11 AM

Replacing memory (all machine types)
The computer has four connectors for installing dual inline memory modules
(DIMMs) that provide up to a maximum of 4.0 GB of system memory.
When installing memory modules, the following rules apply:
v System memory is divided into two channels (channel A and :thumbsup:. memory
connectors 1 and 2 are channel A, and memory connectors 3 and 4 are channel
B.
v If memory connectors 1 and 3 (or 2 and 4) are filled with the same technology
and size of memory, the system operates in dual channel mode.

v Use 2.5 V, 184-pin, 333 MHz double data rate synchronous dynamic random
access memory (DDR SDRAM).
v Use 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB or 1.0 GB (when available) memory modules in
any combination.
v Memory modules are 25.4 mm (1.0 inches) in height.

Edited by DaChew, 08 March 2009 - 09:12 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

This motherboard is capable of running in dual channel, so as Chewy wrote, the RAM should be installed in slots 1-3, 2-4.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 Indy452

Indy452
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:50 PM

I'm sorry but I'm not real savy on what you just told me so I'll ask this....If it were yours would you put one (1gb module) in slot one and the other (1gb module) in slot three correct? This configuration would give me 2gb of ram running in dual mode correct?

Thanks. I appreciate the responses. I just don't really understand alot of the inner workings.

Neal

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:53 PM

I'm sorry but I'm not real savy on what you just told me so I'll ask this....If it were yours would you put one (1gb module) in slot one and the other (1gb module) in slot three correct? This configuration would give me 2gb of ram running in dual mode correct?

Thanks. I appreciate the responses. I just don't really understand alot of the inner workings.

Neal

Yes
Chewy

#13 Indy452

Indy452
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:11 PM

I added the PC3200 and it works wonderfully! Thanks for the assistance!

Neal

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:22 PM

My first xp computer had 128 megs of ram, that stick was almost 100$

I went back to windows 98 until ram dropped

I was happy with 256 megs for a couple of years and learned to run lean and mean, even doing some video work

Some of the newer adobe apps require 2 gigs to even install
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users