Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Factory Restore

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Old Gimmer

Old Gimmer

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 07 June 2005 - 04:08 PM

Hello,

Can someone give me a bit of advice please?

I am about to do a factory restore on my computer and not ever having done it before, I wondered if there were any tips anyone could give me as to the best way to go about it? Thanks.

I've also got a couple of questions I would like answering please.

1. When my computer manufacturer (Compaq) says that a factory restore restores the computer to the factory settings, does it mean that it will be as it was when I bought it because as well as having XP installed, it also came with a lot of other software as well, for example WORD.

2. After I have done the restore, will I have to download all the updates there has been to XP since I bought the computer, and what do I do about installing SP2, plus my Firewall, AV, etc. Thanks again ..........O.G.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2005 - 05:13 PM

Everything will be exactly as you got it, although it may retain some personal settings, so any programs like Word should return. As the restore is a combination of what is on your restore CD's and the info on a partition on your hard drive, anything that has happened since the date of manufacture (like Windows Updates) will need to be done again. That includes any AV not included with the computer, a firewall etc.

The only tip that I can give is that you back up any personal data because a full restore will wipe everything clean. I think there is a quick restore that reloads the OS without affecting everything else. That option should be in your Start menu somewhere.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Old Gimmer

Old Gimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:58 PM

Leurgy,

Thanks for that.

My wife will be pleased to hear she'll be getting 'Word' back and all the other programs also. I've just been told that if I install SP2 I'll cut down substantially the amount of updates I'll need, is that correct? I've had it on disc for ages but haven't got around to installing it yet, so now is as good a time to do it as any I suppose.

I'm going to burn my firewall and av to cd, the last thing I want is to get some nasty on my clean computer by downloading them from the internet!

Thanks again for all your help........OG.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2005 - 02:09 PM

As I said, Word will probably be part of the restore, unless it was some special inducement to sell that machine. OpenOffice.org has a Word clone you can always use.

Definitely run the SP2 CD after the restore, then install the AV and Firewall and then do whatever updates are left and your good to go.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users