Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing Up My Data

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 slyblackdragon

slyblackdragon

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:39 AM

Hi there. My computer is really acting up lately, so I would like to backup all my important data just in case something catastrophic happens to this PC. I had a large slave drive as a backup, but that seems to have failed or be in the process of failing at the moment. What I would like to do is burn my data, mostly photos, a few word documents, and TONS of music onto DVDs. Is there a right and a wrong way to go about doing this? Is there some sort of program I can use to compress the data to fit more onto each DVD?

I have really never backed up my data, and I figure now is as good a time as any to start. Any help would be much appreciated.

-Sean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:32 AM

I wouldn't compress the files, especially the photos.

You can use XP's software to burn them or something like Nero. Just keep track of the total size of the files, and remember that a DVD has a capacity of 4.7GB. If you are going to keep these disks for a number of years I would suggest purchasing some good media, like Taiyo Luden or Verbatim.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:13 AM

Find a place on your hard drive to set up and organise the data to be backed up; once you have decided on the structure, and have purchased enough disks to allow backup by general category of these folders, as well as future additions, then you can begin the burning process. Once burned, you can simply delete the folders/files. The more organised the folder structure, the easier it will be to really make use of them later.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:05 AM

Another option would be, USB Flash Drives.
More costly than DVDs, but easier to add, remove, and re-organize information, at a later date.
Think of it as a miniature external drive, without the moving parts. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users