Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wrong copy of XP installed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DURN

DURN

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:25 AM

I had a hardware crash and took my computer to my repair guy. He had to reinstall XP Pro. I gave him my retain copy but for some reason he installed his own copy. When I called Microsoft for some help they refused because the OS I.D. is OEM. They weren't interested in hearing my story about having the wrong copy installed.

Question: is there any way for me to replace his copy of XP with my copy so that the I.D. is correct -- without having to do a complete reinstall of all my programs, etc?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:55 AM

I do not believe there is but I would certainly contact the repair guy to make this right, one way or another. At the very least, you should get some of your money back or he should come to your house and make the system right at no addtional charge.

This is one reason I would not take my system to someone else to install my operating system. No way is my disk getting into someone elses hands when I am not right there watching their every move and I want to make sure it is MY disk that is used for the install.

Edited by Stang777, 06 March 2009 - 03:34 AM.

#3 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:54 AM

Unfortunately to correct this you re going to have to reinstall Windows and it will overwrite any data on your harddrive.
  • Make a list of what you have installed, download any installation files you need and burn them to CD/DVD.
  • Back up all your data that you want.
  • Reinstall Windows using your original copy.
There are plenty of people here that can talk you through the installation.

I would certainly ask for the service charges back considering he's not done what you've asked and you having to do it yourself now.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:29 AM

This link will take you to a good tutorial.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 DURN

DURN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:25 PM

Thanks, gang.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users