Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bit Defender Total Security 2009 questions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kibou

Kibou

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:05 AM

Hello everyone here at Bleeping Computer. :thumbsup: I recently got this package and I had a couple questions about it.

1. I noticed this product has a "tune-up" section which includes a registry cleaner and defragmenter. I usually use CCleaner and Defraggler for these purposes and was wondering if I shouls go ahead and uninstall these utilities since it appears BitDefender has these capabilities.

2. I also was wondering if I should keep Windows Firewall disabled. I know that running 2 firewalls can slow your system but I read at another site that having 2 firewalls can actually compliment each other. I don't know which I should do...

if someone could answer these questions I'd appreciate it. :D
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:38 AM

Not sure on a third party defragmenter as I'm not exactly familiar with the opinions on them (it's not something I hear about a lot as I just use the one built into Windows, let alone that it's something I don't seek information on much)

As for the registry cleaner, the staff of BC does not recommend or suggest the use of a Registry Cleaner as use of one can severely damage one's system.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results". Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

If you have a firewall up already and Windows Firewall is off, keep it off. The only time two firewalls is fine is if one is hardware (router) and one is software (whatever is installed on the computer). Two firewalls on could possibly have the same effect as having two antiviruses with realtime protection actively running at the same time, which is that there can be significant issues such as false positives and the fact that it may let more through than what it should be doing. Whether that's true or not, I'm not sure. ATM, I can't remember from a long day of classes. Someone may be able to help answer your question better than I can if there's anything in what I said as not exactly correct.

Edited by scff249, 06 March 2009 - 12:38 AM.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#3 Kibou

Kibou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:09 AM

Wow, I had always heard cleaning the registry every now and then was important..I guess what I read was wrong. :thumbsup: Thanks for answering my firewall question too, now I know not to go ahead and turn Windows Firewall on. Thanks a lot. ^_^
Posted Image

#4 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:37 AM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for a several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lof...hp/t204763.html

Also see:
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=643
http://www.whatthetech.com/2007/11/25/do-i...gistry-cleaner/

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:51 AM

Hello everyone here at Bleeping Computer. :thumbsup: I recently got this package and I had a couple questions about it.

1. I noticed this product has a "tune-up" section which includes a registry cleaner and defragmenter. I usually use CCleaner and Defraggler for these purposes and was wondering if I shouls go ahead and uninstall these utilities since it appears BitDefender has these capabilities.

2. I also was wondering if I should keep Windows Firewall disabled. I know that running 2 firewalls can slow your system but I read at another site that having 2 firewalls can actually compliment each other. I don't know which I should do...

if someone could answer these questions I'd appreciate it. :D

I use both of those products. I don't like the Windows defrag and just prefer Defraggler. I use CCleaner strictly to automatically clean junk files, cookies & the recycle bin. I have never used the registry cleaner and have no intention to do so. Most third party firewalls will automatically disable the Windows Firewall upon installation. You can't run two firewalls.

#6 dopefish

dopefish

BitDefender Representative

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:18 AM

I can only answer your second question as the first one is really up to you. Using the tool that are provided in BitDefender TS is only up to you, though I don't see the point in buying a TS suite if you won't use all of the features.

And to answer your 2nd question:

BitDefender disables by default the Windows firewall upon installation. The thing is that BitDefender has it's own firewall driver that installs and manages all the traffic. If you would enable both firewalls you will have a very high chance to "blow up" one of the firewall drivers and you won't have any pleasing results. :D

#7 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:13 PM

Using a registry cleaner is not recommended rather it's part of a suite or a stand alone commercial or freeware registry cleaner.

#8 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:41 AM

To demonstrate what a Reg. Cleaner can do.

If your processor is the heart of your computer, then wouldn't the registry be the brain. Change the registry at your own risk. It's like operating on someone's brain with no previous knowledge of the topic, and with a ballpoint pen. Good luck.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users