Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstall Vista x86 SP1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guitarist

Guitarist

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:08 PM

Well, having issues with this one laptop. A friend of mine was trying to run windows updates, and it started getting Service Pack 1 and Dotnet framework 3.5, About 10% into the install it error's and gives error code - . After this the system reports the SP1 is installed, but when we check add/remove programs and check latest updates, it doesn't show Service Pack 1 was ever installed. We tried restoring the system back to an earlier date, but every time we try it just fails. We've tried both restore points that were only a couple days old, to as far back as a couple weeks.

We then went searching to find out how to uninstall Vista SP1. We came across http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948537. Method 1 we had looked into before and it didn't work. Method 2 is the system restore, which again didn't work. We also tried going the cmd prompt route, but when we try to delete the file, it says its not found. I checked the root C:\ folder, and the temp folder isn't even there.

Anyway's if anyone else has any idea's that'd be great.

Anyways, just so you know the OS

Windows Vista Home Premium x86 - Acer Laptop

We don't have a Vista boot disc either.

Thanks ahead of time

Edited by Guitarist, 05 March 2009 - 11:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guitarist

Guitarist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:53 AM

sorry

When the updates fail it reads Error Code - 80073712

#3 Guitarist

Guitarist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:10 AM

may have found my own solution

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

just been taking awhile to install :huh:

#4 Guitarist

Guitarist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:28 AM

the link fixed it :huh: but had troubles installing it on this system until every virus was successfully removed only took me 11 hours lol

-----------------
so, to all whom read this and didnt know what to do... the above link solved it

case closed :huh:

Edited by Guitarist, 06 March 2009 - 07:29 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:20 PM

Thanks for letting us know your fix - it'll help others who are searching for resolutions for the same problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Guitarist

Guitarist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:06 AM

no prob in case the link fails it is called

"System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista"

Overview
This tool is being offered because an inconsistency was found in the Windows servicing store which may prevent the successful installation of future updates, service packs, and software. This tool checks your computer for such inconsistencies and attempts to resolve issues if found.

It fixed the problem for me without having to uninstall anything etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users