Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Virus on Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jab680

jab680

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

My parent's computer has a pretty bad virus on it. I'm not sure of all of the specs but they're running Windows XP SP2. When they try to boot the computer, it looks like it goes through the typical boot process until you are supposed to see the desktop, desktop icons, Windows start button, etc appear. Instead no icons appear, no Windows start button appears only a message in the center of the screen saying that virus scan is running. It doesn't say that it's Mcaffe or Norton or any other type of antivirus. It's just very general. Also, what's even more strange, is that when this window appears the system plays a recording of a woman speaking in another language. We can't figure out what language it is, but it sounds maybe Swedish or Eastern European. This is all the computer does. The virus scan window doesn't go away and control-alt-delete doesn't do anything. You can't load any applications or open any other windows. To shut down the computer we have to push the on/off switch on the tower.

I also tried to start in safe mode by hitting F8 repeatedly during the early stages of booting up, but it doesn't give me the option of starting in Safe Mode. What I get instead is a menu asking me where I want to boot Windows from: CDROM, Hard Drive, etc. I always select hard drive and then it continues the boot process I mentioned above.

Does anyone know what virus this is and if it's possible to get rid of it? Is my only option is to reinstall Windows? Please let me know if you need more info...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:48 PM

Hello.

Try the following and see if your icons or anything comes back.

Open Task Manager>>File>>New Task (Run...)>> IN the open field type in explorer

See if that helps at all and let me know if you are able to get your icons back..

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users