Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Big USB Trouble

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AngellettiNJ

AngellettiNJ

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:37 PM

Hi There,
I've been trying to figure this out for about a week now and am still up in the air..After installing an itunes update i plugged my ipod in via usb to have my computer freeze up and had my network crashed as well...after rectifying the initial damage i found that my usb ports will not read anything that plugs in to them except my netgear wireless...i know all the other hardware works because i've tried it on another system...sometimes i get a popup bubble saying i've installed harware that has malfunctioned and other times i'll plug in and get no feed back at all...my system is completey virus and malware free ive ran a number of tests..also my device manager tells me everything is working properly...any troubleshooting info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:55 PM

Do you know how to check if your USB ports have power? If they do, replace your front buses/back buses. But I think, since it's all ports, I'd get a new PCI USB 2.0 Card.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:26 PM

Doing a Google search I see iTunes 8 is causing many problems.
If you updated to 8 you might consider uninstalling 8 & going back to an earlier version.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 AngellettiNJ

AngellettiNJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:49 PM

Hey Swordie
Ur everywhere on this site!! thanks again for the reply...and in regards to the power supply...i checked the power tab in the device manager and it said the output max is 500 for each hub...but being they're all empty it had said zero power was being used..and i believe they're self powered as well if that makes any sense...maybe u can shed a little light on this pci card..price especially...also the netgear wireless we spoke about the other day was listed in one of the hubs and was giving off the max 500 in regards to power

#5 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:59 PM

Then you have power, and it's most likely your PCI Card. You can pick one up at Circuit City if your lucky. They are 5 dollars or so there. If not, you may be able to pick one up for about 20 at Bestbuy.

Does every port work with your Netgear? Try different ports to see. I want to see if it's directed in 1 usb port or all.

And thanks for the compliment. I'm trying to help as many people as I can so they can enjoy their computer experience and time.

#6 AngellettiNJ

AngellettiNJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:04 PM

No prob on the compliment...thats super cool of you to offer ur time to help others...it's deffinatley appreciated..sooo i'm gonna give that a shot with the netgear switch so i'll be offline for a few...i'm thinking about doing an uinstall on the usb hubs and following that with a restart and a fresh install...good idea?? or not??

#7 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:10 PM

Well, a Fresh Install of Windows might be a step too fast. You could do it, but I think it's something more physical. Uninstall the driver, and install the driver (forgive me if I went too fast on the Fresh Install of Windows.. Misread).. Give it a try.

And i'm here to share my knowledge, and gain a lot more. Thank you for your appreciation.

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:18 PM

"it's most likely your PCI Card"

I keep rereading the thread but see no mention from the OP as to the USB being a PCI card ?

Before I did a clean install of the Windows &nd lose everything on it I'd try doing a System Restore to a date before the iTunes update was done.
That should put it back the way it was .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#9 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:25 PM

I'd like to add; System Restores only change your registry, or revert it back to an old one. Im not quite sure it will exactly fix the problem, and the PCI card is a card that powers and most likely distributes the information from the devices to the motherboard to your Processor and Memory. It seems to me to be a physical issue, since he also mentioned that it crashed his computer. I would try System Restore, just to rule it out or try it. You will never know until you try it, anyways.

#10 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:11 AM

" the PCI card is a card that powers and most likely distributes the information from the devices to the motherboard to your Processor and Memory."

A PCI card is an add-in card that goes in a PCI slot on the motherboard to add a device such as, a sound card, LAN card, USB card, etc, .

The Southbridge chipset on a motherboard controls the onboard USB, as well as other devices.

If System Restore didn't return a system to as it was before a problem occured it would be a rather useless feature.
The whole purpose of "System Restore" is to return a unit to a previous state it was in on the given day that the restore point was created.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:49 AM

I'd like to add; System Restores only change your registry, or revert it back to an old one.

System Restore will return your computer to a previous state, it takes a snapshot of system files and program files and registry settings, this is stored in the restore points. System Restore does not affect personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos. The use of System Restore in this application would definitely be a valid option.

Edited by dc3, 06 March 2009 - 03:49 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users