Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Variant of Koobface Worm Spreading on Facebook

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:19 PM

Koobface worm spreading

Facebook users need to be aware of this and other attempts to use clever social engineering related to Facebook to trick them into installing malware.

http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/2009/...nt_preys_on.php

I just received a Facebook message from a friend; it was a pretty standard one that is beginning to look familiar to a lot of us I am sure....What surprised me though, was the page that the link led to. On the face of it is a very familiar looking spoofed version of YouTube, complete with bogus comments from “viewers”.

http://blog.trendmicro.com/new-variant-of-...ng-on-facebook/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:26 PM

Received this one myself, probably because of Windows Live, which also stores info on other e-mail addresses that are not through Windows Live.

The internet probably only has 3 degrees of separation. All you need is one service provider in common, and it spreads to all the others.

#3 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:43 PM

Wow, this looks dangerous. I should keep a close eye on when I'm on Facebook or Windows Live.

Next thing we know, Microsoft.com is infected with multiple Viruts.. Now that would be devastating..
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#4 Guest_tylerisdabest_*

Guest_tylerisdabest_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:22 AM

whats safe anymore?

#5 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:29 AM

Thats for letting us know, will have to warn the misses on this one :thumbsup:
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#6 tork

tork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:25 PM

You're welcome :thumbsup:

#7 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:20 PM

Swordie, sometimes a newly installed program will react with malware that's already on one's pc. I learned that the hard way. But Windows Live and, I think, Google analytics, are structured in such a way that malware invasion will be truly devastating.

So I'm not paranoid about Windows Live itself, its more the opportunities it presents to malware and viruses.

#8 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:06 PM

You have to keep your eyes and ears out in case they get you. I've seen these forged sites and malware sites when my friends' send links to me. Word is that the messenger would AUTOMATICALLY load up the page; therefore loading you up with the Spyware.

That's creepy.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#9 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:37 AM

I very rarely send links or images or invitations to subscribe to an on-line publication. I scan when I can, and send an advisement by a different e-mail service to the folks who will be receiving the named item; in other words, I hardly ever forward stuff, and I open stuff only if I am certain who it came from.

I have been receiving stuff with gmail addresses on them that look highly suspicious, but never through my gmail itself. Of course, if I were to fix my smptauth and pop and other connections properly, i would be getting a lot more of this stuff. Something more to look forward to.

I love preview panes! I don't have to click on anything, not even the header. Yesterday a stranger's e-mail somehow got placed in my inbox rather than suspect e-mail, spam or trash, and it said: "check this download site! It's great!" The site link was to a notorious spoof download site.

Edited by fuzzywuzzy6, 07 March 2009 - 09:58 AM.

#10 lindaga35

lindaga35

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:14 PM

so should we not add any more things to our pages on facebook? im try not to unless know what it is.

like what should i look for ?

Linda

#11 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:50 AM

so should we not add any more things to our pages on facebook? im try not to unless know what it is.

like what should i look for ?

Linda

Have a look at this update from Facebook themselves.

http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=68886667130
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#12 HowToRemoveSpyware

HowToRemoveSpyware

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:09 PM

A friend of mine got the koobface worm when opening a video link from a "friend"... took about 2 hours to get out of the system... NASTY NASTY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users