Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Simple SATA Cord Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 keepdriving

keepdriving

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:57 PM

So the last time I built a computer, SATA didn't even exist I don't think lol. Anyway, I bought an OEM burner from newegg, meaning it came with no cords/wires - just the burner. The drive has no inputs except what I THINK have found out (googled) to be an SATA data and an SATA power cable. I went to best buy and was asking for either cord - they had an SATA data cable, but didn't know what I meant when I said an SATA power cable. Anyway, to my question...what all do I need for this driver to work? Do I just need an SATA data cable, or do i need both the data AND power cable. Also, the last cd drive I installed needed an audio cable plugged into it as well, but this one doesn't even have a spot for one - does the SATA data cable cary the audio feed now days or something?

Below I have posted a picture of the back of the drive. Also below is a link to the newegg page of the driver. Anyway, any help would be appreciated! And yes, I have checked and my mobo has 6 SATA (as well as 2 eSATA) inputs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827136152

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:21 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

The longer one to the left is the SATA power connector. This cable should be coming from your power supply. If you don't have one, you can buy a 4-pin molex connector to sata from most computer stores, such as Newegg.

The connection to the right is the SATA cable that gos from the burner, to the motherboard.

There aren't audio cables anymore either, it will play audio without it.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:46 PM

You will also need to install your SATA drivers for the motherboard If the bios is not set to IDE emulation. If your bios does not detect the optical drive after installation then you will need to either install the drivers or enable IDE emulation These will be the Raid/SATA drivers that came on the cd. I know they are required for a HDD not sure with a SATA dvd/rom drive. Post your motherboard make and model if you need further directions.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:38 AM

if your motherboard doesnt have sata connectors you will prolly have to buy an PCI sata card as well.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users