Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows explorer/browser (NOT IE!) runs in fits and starts

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 podo

podo

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:12 PM

It isn't that my computer is slow. Programs, once loaded and running, appear fine. But loading takes forever. The worst example is explorer: Click on Start, wait two minutes, click on explore, wait two minutes, click on the C:\ drive, wait two minutes, and so on down the tree.

A similar (but less horrible) problem occurs when I launch a program from the Desktop: There is often a two minute delay before the program starts. Similarly, a running program that is minimized takes a couple of minutes of appear after clicking on the taskbar. (The good news is it starts immediately if I use Task Manager.)

A third problem is that Windows Backup and Restore doesn't run so I can't get at my backup!

Here's a possible clue as to what is wrong: Reboot has recently taken over half an hour. But when I shut down the AVG resident monitor reboot took only 13 minutes. In both cases screen icons were painted in bursts with a delay of 2 minutes between bursts, but with AVG on only a few icons were painted in each burst while with AVG off the system painted 39 icons in the first burst and the rest in the second. But there's still that persistent 2 minute delay...

And, by the way, extremeboy says I don't have a virus infection (anymore)...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:50 PM

Have you tried a repair install of XP?

Malware may have been removed...but sometimes the effects cripple the system.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users