Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

generic pnp monitor going into hybernation at bootup, help direly needed

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Psycho Nomad

Psycho Nomad

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:54 PM

I've had this problem before. But first, a little background.

A while back i broke my laptop screen and ended up borrowing a monitor off my friend. its a Fujitsu Siemens (TFT?) monitor only able to support 800*600/1024*768... and recently 1024*768 @ 70Hz went on the blink causing the monitor to turn off, so I put it up to 75Hz and its worked fine...

Earlier today, while i've been bug hunting in a beta for a new build of an MMO i play the monitor started blinking on and off so i closed the game and on the desktop a message came up saying 'display driver had stopped working and has recovered succesfully. This happened a few times while bug hunting and eventually the monitor went into hybernation mode and now no matter what i try to do it won't come out of hybernation mode unless i boot in safe mode.

I'm using my TV as a monitor as i can't use the laptop screen as its broken. I seriously can't use the tv as a monitor all the time so i want to find out how to stop my usual monitor from going straight into hybernation mode at bootup.

I've gone into Vista's display settings and set the Res to different settings, and changed the refresh rate about but nothings fixed it. Im in a sticky situation as i can't use the laptops monitor so im stuck swapping out the plugs for the monitor and tv in the back of the LT to see if anythings fixed it. Also i don't know if the laptop is treating the two displays differently. so if i change the res on the tv and swap it to the monitor by unplugging and plugging in respectively it could possibly still be having the monitor at a res/refresh rate it doesn't like, if that even is a problem, i mean it could be that, or the comp treating the main LT screen as the main monitor for some reason...

i need some help in sorting this. I've had this problem before, and i managed to sort it by fiddling about with the display settings, but i seriously can't fix it this time, its just not working.

help??

*EDIT - i didnt cover this bit to clearly, the monitor DOES come on, only if i boot up in safe mode and its in 800*600...

furthermore, i could also never see the black bootup(?) screen (giving you the option of booting in safe mode e.t.c.) through the monitor in question, but i could see it if i switch the plugs over so the display is coming through the tv. So i'de have to plus in the tv let it load choose boot in safe mode, switch the plugs to plug in the monitor, the display comes up fine, so then i'de shut down the comp and boot up in normal mode (again i couldnt see the bootup screen, the monitor, even when working shows nothing untill the actual vista loggin screen) after booting in normal mode, after the safe mode bootup and restart with the display working on the monitor, the monitor reverts back to going into hybernation mode when the system gets to the loggin screen, prompting the usual "no signal detected, going to sleep" message...

i HAVE made sure that the monitor is set as the primary display and even used the FN+F4 key combo to switch between active monitors.... nothings worked.

any ideas anyone?

Edited by Psycho Nomad, 05 March 2009 - 05:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users