Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Restarting Automatically

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Siphotomo

Siphotomo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:29 PM

This is the 3rd time i've tried to post this my computer keeps rebooting on me at random times, i have other problems with multiple programs causing errors and shutting down.

I'm running Windows XP Home SP3

I have problems opening up virus scanners, AVG, Avira, F-Prot, McAfee, so i have uninstalled them and tried reinstalling with no success, so they are permanently uninstalled. I didn't have them all installed at the same time, i would try one, then move on to the next after uninstalling. I just use an Online Virus Scanner called kaspersky. Spybot S & D has a problem during its scan loading Trojans.cbi i've tried updating, uninstalling & reinstalling also, and when loaded it says something about the files have been changed and Spybot says it isn't suppose to do that. Also Lavasoft Adaware will not open, it might start to load but is closed immediately. I'm running Zonealarm Pro Firewall, without the Anti-virus. Please help the rebooting does not have any kind of countdown or anything it just restarts out of nowhere.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:24 PM

Please disable Spybot's Teatimer function
------------------------------

The process of cleaning your computer may require you to temporarily disable some security programs. If you are using SpyBot Search and Destroy, please refer to Note 2 at the bottom of this page.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note:
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Note 2:
-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

---------------------------------

If mbam won't install

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the [b].exe
as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.
--------------------------------

Edited by garmanma, 05 March 2009 - 09:26 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Siphotomo

Siphotomo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:04 AM

i've tried running Malwatebytes' Anti-Malware at least 8 times now and everytime i get an error message during the scan which is...

Malwatebytes' Anti-Malware
Error Signature
AppName: mbam.exe AppVer: 1.34.0.0 ModName: oleaut32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.5512 Offset: 00004c94

DrWatson Postmortem Debugger
Error Signature
EventType : BEX P1 : drwtsn32.exe P2 : 5.1.2600.0 P3 : 3b7d84a2
P4 : dbghelp.dll P5 : 5.1.2600.5512 P6 : 4802a0b2 P7 : 0001295d
P8 : c0000409 P9 : 00000000

Also sometimes i'll get this error message to but not everytime...

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
Error Signature
szAppName : svchost.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.5512 szModName : msi.dll
szModVer : 3.1.4001.5512 offset : 0014f81e

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:12 PM

Do you have a thumb drive where you can use another computer to download Mbam then install it to yours? You could burn it to a CD also.
If you do, uninstall it the reinstall it that way
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Siphotomo

Siphotomo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:29 PM

1st Log ran under Safe Mode it was the only way i could run it...

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
Database version: 1822
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

3/6/2009 7:18:23 PM
mbam-log-2009-03-06 (19-18-23).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 65475
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 36 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 19
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\gnucdna.core (Adware.WhenUSave) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{f02c0ae1-d796-42c9-81e1-084d88f79b8e} (Adware.WhenUSave) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{0be385a3-85a5-4722-b677-68dae891ff21} (Adware.WhenUSave) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{272c0d60-0561-4c83-b3db-eb0a71f9d2eb} (Adware.WhenUSave) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{284477e4-a7cb-4055-9e1b-0ea7cba28945} (Adware.WhenUSave) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{70ca4938-6a0f-4641-a9a9-c936e4c1e7de} (Adware.WhenUSave) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{7468213e-010e-4ec6-a17d-642e909ba7ec} (Adware.WhenUSave) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{89dc33a2-f86f-42a1-8b5f-d4d1943efc9c} (Adware.WhenUSave) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{b86f4810-19a9-4050-9ac9-b5cf60b5799a} (Adware.WhenUSave) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{bb5b7e14-f8b4-4365-a24d-f4965c33e1ee} (Adware.WhenUSave) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{c13d4627-02f5-4b03-897a-bf6a90022dd2} (Adware.WhenUSave) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{c636f1fc-6ae4-4e6a-90ab-6d61d821a0dd} (Adware.WhenUSave) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{cb971ac0-6408-40da-a540-92f9f256f51f} (Adware.WhenUSave) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{d5694dfe-43b6-4e05-aa29-8c556c968973} (Adware.WhenUSave) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{e2032ec2-a9ac-4ed7-9bdb-ebecacf076f2} (Adware.WhenUSave) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{ebab4a71-8c34-461a-b57d-dd041d439555} (Adware.WhenUSave) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{f06fea43-0cc3-4bf6-a85b-5efb1c07aa4b} (Adware.WhenUSave) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{fc94a0f7-9c7c-4ae2-9106-5c212332b209} (Adware.WhenUSave) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{2850bdc7-2330-4e31-9fa0-88268846539a} (Adware.WhenUSave) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\GnucDNA.dll (Adware.WhenUSave) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

2nd Log Ran under Normal Boot...

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
Database version: 1822
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

3/6/2009 8:21:03 PM
mbam-log-2009-03-06 (20-21-03).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 65848
Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 47 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

A Problem i still have is everytime i try to backup my registry the computer automatically restarts about 5 seconds into backing it up everytime, doesn't matter what program i try to use to back it up, Regedit, or Spybot, anything it always restarts

Edited by Siphotomo, 06 March 2009 - 08:53 PM.

#6 Siphotomo

Siphotomo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:38 PM

My Computer is still shutting down at random it seems, but it might not be random. it always restarts when i try to backup my registry. i have a new power supply and a new fan so i don't think it is the hardware or its overheating. I know i can run Combofix on the computer without it messing anything up, but i read not to run it unless told so, but it causes no error messages like everything else so if you could please help. Thanks

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:15 PM

We need to see what thee error is. To do that and to keep it from rebooting:
1. Click 'Start'
2. Click on 'Run'
3. Type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter
4. Click on the 'Advanced' tab
5. Click on the 'Startup and Recovery' Settings button
6. Uncheck 'Automatically restart', then click on OK
7. Click on OK to exit the System applet, then close the Control Panel.
8. Reboot for the changes to take effect
When you get an error, write it down word for word

Also, when it happens look in the Event Viewer to see what it reports at that moment

Edited by garmanma, 10 March 2009 - 02:32 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#8 Siphotomo

Siphotomo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:14 PM

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've sen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps.

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problem continues, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you neeed to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information

*** STOP: 0X00000050 (0xC1530008, 0x00000000, 0x8054BF0F,0x00000000)

that was the error message on the blue screen but i'm not sure what you want out of the even viewer there is 2,500 errors under the system tab, and more under applications tab

same thing happened again after i posted this only difference was this...

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0x8059A34C, 0xAF54576C, 0x00000000)

Edited by Siphotomo, 11 March 2009 - 09:33 PM.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:38 PM

I believe that you have a severe rootkit infection. To be totally honest, your best option is to reformat and reinstall your OS
-------------------------------------------
Two options left-Post a HJT log or re-install

If you want to give removal of the infection a try, please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

====================================

Some types of malware can result in a system so badly damaged that a Repair Install will NOT help!. Reinstalling Windows without first wiping the entire hard drive with a repartition and/or format will not remove the infection. The reinstall will only overwrite the Windows files. Any malware on the system will still be there afterwards. Starting over by wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action.

In case you need help with this, please review:These links include step-by-step instructions with screenshots:Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. If you decide to reformat, you can back up all your important documents, personal data files and photos. The safest practice is not to backup any executable files (*.exe), screensavers (*.scr) or autorun (.ini) files because they may be infected by malwareware appending itself to the executable. Some types of malware may even disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of files so be sure you look closely at the full file name. After reformatting, as a precaution, make sure you scan these files with your anti-virus prior to copying them back to your hard drive.

Note: If your using an IBM, HP, Compaq or Dell machine, you may not have an original XP CD Disk. By policy Microsoft no longer allows OEM manufactures to include the original Windows XP CD-ROM on computers sold with Windows preinstalled. Instead, most computers manufactured and sold by OEM vendors come with a vendor-specific Recovery Disk or Recovery Partition for performing a clean "factory restore" that will reformat your hard drive, remove all data and restore the computer to the state it was in when you first purchased it.

If you need additional assistance with reformatting, you can start a new topic in the Windows XP Home and Professional forum.
Mark
Posted Image

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:53 AM

Hello Siphotomo,

Now that you have a log posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/210701/deeply-infected-computer/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users