Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media Center Receiver Service

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 golfdude

golfdude

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:04 PM

I know this should be fixed by other parties not getting along. However, I have great faith in this website for solving problems. Every time my friend starts his computer he gets the following error message:

"Media Center Receiver Service has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

This error message started after Windows XP SP3 was installed, and recently came back after I wiped his computer clean and re-installed the program WinDVD Creator 3. I have surmised that the problem has to do with the WinDVD Creator software and the XP SP3 update. I contacted Corel (mnftr of the software) and they informed me that WinDVD Creator 3 was a EOL (End Of Lifetime) and no longer supported by the company. Go figure they stop giving patches and updates for software they sold last year. Anyway, here is the operating stuff:

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP3
Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2400 GHz
2.00 GHz of Ram

I have turned the receiver service from automatic to manual. I have tried several things. However, I don't know what you people know so I am reaching out to get an answer. I have the whole list of error messages attached to this file. Help me!

Thanks,
Golfdude

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Intel i7-3820, 32 GB DDR3-1600, Intel 330 SSD Boot Drive, WD 3TB Data Drive, Radeon HD7770 GHz Edition, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_tylerisdabest_*

Guest_tylerisdabest_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:43 PM

what is the error code?

#3 golfdude

golfdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:05 PM

will send them tomorrow when I get back to my friends house.

Thanks,
Golfdude

Intel i7-3820, 32 GB DDR3-1600, Intel 330 SSD Boot Drive, WD 3TB Data Drive, Radeon HD7770 GHz Edition, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

#4 golfdude

golfdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:28 AM

Attached is a copy of the error message.

Thanks,
Golfdude

#5 golfdude

golfdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:08 AM

I apologize. The attachment was too large and didn't upload in the last post.

Attached is the Media Center Receiver Error.http://s565.photobucket.com/albums/ss100/golfdude1/?action=view&current=MCERcvrtechinfo.jpg

http://s565.photobucket.com/albums/ss100/golfdude1/?action=view&current=MCERcvrErrorSignature.jpg

http://s565.photobucket.com/albums/ss100/golfdude1/?action=view&current=MediaCenterRcvrService3-3-09Error.jpg

Thanks,
Golfdude

#6 golfdude

golfdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:10 AM

Thanks,
Golfdude

#7 golfdude

golfdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:11 AM

[/img]

Thanks,
Golfdude

#8 golfdude

golfdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:16 AM

Okay, apparently I am not getting this. I tried to upload the pictures to photobucket an insert them in this post.

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss100/g...3-3-09Error.jpg

Thanks,
Golfdude

#9 golfdude

golfdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:20 AM

The following links are to the error signature and the error tech info

Posted Image

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss100/g...orSignature.jpg

Posted Image

Thanks,
Golfdude

#10 golfdude

golfdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:22 AM

Posted Image

Thanks,
Golfdude

#11 golfdude

golfdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:23 AM

Okay, that took some time to learn how to do. This is what I have for the startup error. Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks,
Golfdude

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:28 PM

Have you tried simply removing the software (which may be damaged)?

If it is damaged, it might be wise to remove it and reinstall it.

Louis

#13 golfdude

golfdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for the idea. And yes, I have thought of removing it. However, this is really a decision my friend should make since it is his only software for burning DVD's. I know, he would be better off getting Nero or some other software, but that would cost some money.
As for reloading it, the software was purchased and downloaded off the website. No disc exist. To reinstall the software I had to download it from cnet because Corel no longer has the download on there website. I did get the activation key off Corel's website- the account still exist. Not to mention, after wiping his hard drive and loading his recovery disc and wiping clean 89 infections the machine is actually working very well for the first time in almost a year. The error message is just annoying and all you need to do is click "Don't send error report" and it goes away.

That being said, I just finished some of the updated that needed to be loaded and restarted the computer and the error message never popped up. Maybe it cured itself:)

I did get a reply from Corel's forum and a suggestion to use the Windows Registry to remove some items- which at this point I don't plan on doing. The computer is working fairly well and I am afraid it can only go downhill. I had a difficult time yesterday installing Turbo Tax on his computer. It would go all the way to the end of the install and kick out an error message. The error message pointed at some missing instructions within Windows installer. Intuit didn't have any fixes and when I was doing the Windows Update it wouldn't install .net framework 3.5 SP1. I goofed around trying several fixes and eventually installed dotnetfx_cleanup_tool- which then I was able to install the update. I wasn't sure if this was a safe software and should have checked with BP before downloading. I have gotten to be rather shy about downloading and have a lot of faith in the BP forums. Lots of good knowledge I have gotten and it is now my first choice if I have any computer needs.
Thanks again for replying to my post and I think we have this problem solved.

Thanks,
Golfdude

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:18 PM

Appreciate the feedback, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users