Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Menu and Desktop Icons Take Forever to Load

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 slyblackdragon

slyblackdragon

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:59 PM

Not sure if this is the correct forum or not, but here goes.

If I turn on or restart my computer, the desktop icons and startup menu will not load for about 15-30 minutes. I used "Codestuff Starter" and only have 3 programs running at start up, so I doubt it is that. I am really not sure what the problem is, but would like to clear it up as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance,
Sean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_tylerisdabest_*

Guest_tylerisdabest_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:51 PM

go to start>run>msconfig click the last tab in msconfig and tell me how much programs are on the start up.

also do this too

list how much ram you have
how many processes on task manager you have
and how old you computer is

Edited by tylerisdabest, 05 March 2009 - 03:52 PM.

#3 slyblackdragon

slyblackdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:09 PM

Here is what is running at startup: Posted Image

I have 740 mb of RAM and a 2.0 GHz processor.

Here is what is on my task manager: Posted Image

My computer is about 5 or 6 years old.

#4 Guest_tylerisdabest_*

Guest_tylerisdabest_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:41 PM

how much ram is being used

also a quick way to get the proceses up is a hijack this logfile but just copying the processes down

#5 slyblackdragon

slyblackdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:45 PM

How do I check to see how much ram is being used?

#6 Guest_tylerisdabest_*

Guest_tylerisdabest_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:48 PM

ctr + alt + del and than task manager than performance

(it will say pf useage)

#7 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:52 PM

When I viewed your Task manager, I didn't see a explorer.exe file. That is the taskbar on the bottom.

Try activating the last item on the MSCONFIG. It looks like it could be a significant file, since it is a Windows File.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:53 PM

<<...the desktop icons and startup menu will not load for about 15-30 minutes>>

Is that an exaggeration?

If not, have you checked your power supply? Try it in another system? Try another PSU in your system?

Have you checked Event Viewer for possible clues in the errors reported?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Have you done a thorough check for malware?

Louis

#9 Guest_tylerisdabest_*

Guest_tylerisdabest_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:55 PM

i thout that he did not complete that step i asked for, i cant see that text

please copy and paste on a new reply or a logfile

Edited by tylerisdabest, 05 March 2009 - 05:55 PM.

#10 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:58 PM

Hello.

When I viewed your Task manager, I didn't see a explorer.exe file. That is the taskbar on the bottom.

Take a closer look. It's there.

This may be malware but may not, you might want to check for that. I have a user having the same problem but with no malware on his system currently.

You might also want to disable some services too. Below is a program dealing with startup entries. Services can be disabled via Start>>Run>>services.msc

Some may be required so be careful when disabling them. Doing a google search on the name/filename will let you know if it's required or not. Alternatively you can use BC's service search function: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/hijackthis/O23.html

Not everything you search will show up so sometimes you may need google. If you need help let us know :thumbsup:

You may wish to try StartupLite. Simply download this tool to your desktop and run it. It will explain any optional auto-start programs on your system, and offer the option to stop these programs from starting at startup. This will result in fewer programs running when you boot your system, and should improve preformance.

If that does not work, you can try the steps mentioned in Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#11 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:59 PM

Hello.

Quick note:

also a quick way to get the proceses up is a hijack this logfile but just copying the processes down

i thout that he did not complete that step i asked for, i cant see that text

please copy and paste on a new reply or a logfile

Hijackthis logs are not allowed in this forum but ONLY in the Hijackthis-Malware Removal forum.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#12 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:00 PM

It is there... Sorry, my eyes are a bit off today- I just found it. Most likely it might be Malware, so it's important to get an AM (If you don't have one already) and keep it up to date.

#13 slyblackdragon

slyblackdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:39 PM

ctr + alt + del and than task manager than performance

(it will say pf useage)

pf usage is 488 mb

<<...the desktop icons and startup menu will not load for about 15-30 minutes>>

Is that an exaggeration?

If not, have you checked your power supply? Try it in another system? Try another PSU in your system?

Have you checked Event Viewer for possible clues in the errors reported?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Have you done a thorough check for malware?

Louis

Yes it is literally 15-30 minutes before the start menu and icons show up. Haven't checked power supply, and I don't know what a PSU is. I am only a computer novice, not really all that techy. I have run AdAware and SpyBoy S & D and removed everything they found, but that hasn't seemed to help.

Hello.

Take a closer look. It's there.

This may be malware but may not, you might want to check for that. I have a user having the same problem but with no malware on his system currently.

You might also want to disable some services too. Below is a program dealing with startup entries. Services can be disabled via Start>>Run>>services.msc

Some may be required so be careful when disabling them. Doing a google search on the name/filename will let you know if it's required or not. Alternatively you can use BC's service search function: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/hijackthis/O23.html

Not everything you search will show up so sometimes you may need google. If you need help let us know :thumbsup:

You may wish to try StartupLite. Simply download this tool to your desktop and run it. It will explain any optional auto-start programs on your system, and offer the option to stop these programs from starting at startup. This will result in fewer programs running when you boot your system, and should improve preformance.

If that does not work, you can try the steps mentioned in Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware.

With Regards,
Extremeboy

I did everything from the link you provided previously to try and fix it myself before asking. Like I posted I only have a few items at startup and according to the database, they are recommended to run at startup (zone alarm, adaware, window washer, etc.)

It is there... Sorry, my eyes are a bit off today- I just found it. Most likely it might be Malware, so it's important to get an AM (If you don't have one already) and keep it up to date.

I did run Spybot S&D and AdAware. They did find a few problems and fixed them, but that didn't solve my startup problem.

#14 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:07 PM

PSU= Power Supply Unit.

#15 slyblackdragon

slyblackdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:00 AM

PSU= Power Supply Unit.

Ah, duh..lol :thumbsup: No, I haven't tried a new power supply. Everything else seems to work great after the icons and start menu finally load, could it still be the power supply?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users