Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my hard drive dead?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 slyblackdragon

slyblackdragon

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:56 PM

Hi there. The computer I use has two hard drives in it with the larger on set to "slave" which I store most of my data on. I am having some issues with this computer and was going to reformat my C:. As usual I was going to back up my data on the slave drive and just go from there, but my computer displayed this message when I tried to access it: "The disk in drive D is not formatted. Would you like to format it now?" Of course I clicked no because I would surely lose everything then. Following some advice I found elsewhere I tried to run CHKDSK on it by right clicking and going to properties. It took a considerably long time before the menu would even open when selecting the D drive. After running CHKDSK from the menu, nothing happened. No message popped up to tell me if it fixed the problem or anything like that. Also, if I look at the properties for it, it has it listed as "0 bytes" for the capacity.

I really hope this thing isn't dead. I have most of my important photos and such backed up online, but I really don't want to have to buy a new hard drive.

Thanks in advance,
Sean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:44 PM

If your D [slave] drive was working right & you were able to use it & you now get a message that it's not formatted there is a very strong possibility that it has failed.

At this point you probably aren't going to be able to rescue your data from it :thumbsup:

I suggest you try to format it.

If it won't format then it is tome to replace it.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 slyblackdragon

slyblackdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:03 AM

Really? That's lame. Sad thing is it gave me no warning.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:34 AM

Depending of what kind of issue you are having with the C: drive the inability to read the D: drive could be related to the C: drive. I would install the D: drive in another computer to see if it is recognized there before coming to any conclusions.

Is this drive seen in the BIOS?

What does the Disk Management show for the drive?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 slyblackdragon

slyblackdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:59 AM

Depending of what kind of issue you are having with the C: drive the inability to read the D: drive could be related to the C: drive. I would install the D: drive in another computer to see if it is recognized there before coming to any conclusions.

Is this drive seen in the BIOS?

What does the Disk Management show for the drive?

I don't know how access BIOS, but under Disk Management my D: shows up and is listed as "Healthy". This computer is really crapping out on my lately.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:10 AM

Try running chkdsk on the D: drive.

Go to Start and click on My Computer.

Right click on the drive in which you want chkdsk to run. The C: drive is usually contains your operating system.

Click on Properties and click the Tools tab. In the Error-checking box, click the Check Now button.

Set up the Check Disk options by checking one or both check boxes displayed.

To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors, and then click Start.

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, and then click Start.

You may get a message asking if you would like to restart the computer to start the scan, click on yes.

Manually run Chkdsk

Start> Run and type in chkdsk /r (please notice the space between the k and the/) and then click on OK.

A black page with white printing will appear, type in Y, and click on Enter key.

Chkdsk will run when the computer restarts.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 slyblackdragon

slyblackdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:18 AM

Try running chkdsk on the D: drive.

Go to Start and click on My Computer.

Right click on the drive in which you want chkdsk to run. The C: drive is usually contains your operating system.

Click on Properties and click the Tools tab. In the Error-checking box, click the Check Now button.

Set up the Check Disk options by checking one or both check boxes displayed.

To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors, and then click Start.

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, and then click Start.

You may get a message asking if you would like to restart the computer to start the scan, click on yes.

Manually run Chkdsk

Start> Run and type in chkdsk /r (please notice the space between the k and the/) and then click on OK.

A black page with white printing will appear, type in Y, and click on Enter key.

Chkdsk will run when the computer restarts.

If I try to run CHKDSK by right clicking on the D: , I can go through the necessary steps to get it to run, but nothing happens. No messages, errors, anything.

If I try and run in manually, it tries to scan the C: and I don't know how to tell it to run on the D:.

I tried doing it by Start>Run, typing "cmd" then D: and got the following message "Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

Edited by slyblackdragon, 06 March 2009 - 04:22 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:26 AM

Try the manual method entering chkdks D: /r

By the way, you don't need to add the quotation from the previous post. The only time that it is useful is if there is a specific reference that you wish to address, or if the post you are replying to is separated from the post you are making in which case this lets others know that you reply was intended for that specific post.

#9 slyblackdragon

slyblackdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:20 AM

CHKDSK ran manually that time, but froze at 69 percent. I am going to run it again and let it go while a sleep and see what happens.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:24 AM

I would also suggest that you go to the hdd manufacturer's web site and download their diagnostic tool, burn it to a disk and boot from it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users