Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WHAT psu (500w +) is compatible with a dell e520

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 )Cayman(

)Cayman(

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:28 AM

hey guys.....

i recently bought a asus hd4670 and its great, apart from the fact that intense games such as far cry 2, seem to put too much strain on my rather weedy 305w dell PSU.....

firstly can anyone suggest any reasons for far cry 2 freezing with audio and then going black, i then must alt +f4 to escape.

i've been told by many people its my poor PSU is underpowered and is failing in intense parts of the game.....

secondly can anyone suggest a PSU that will be compatible with a dell e520 from 2007 ( i think)...im thinking 550w's is about right for all my needs, and it must be less than 40.....i've found [post="http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-PSU550"]this[/post] or paste this into address bar>>>>>>>>>>>>http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-PSU550

its very cheap but has great reviews.....i really cant afford anything too upmarket...i hope this one fits my comp....i have the a photo of the sticker on my current psu if any one would like it.............................

thnx in advance!

Edited by )Cayman(, 05 March 2009 - 11:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:58 PM

Dell used to use a flat 6 pin "auxiliary" power connector on all of their motherboards.

I suggest you pop open the case & check the connections.
If it doesn't have the flat 6 pin connector to the motherboard then a standard ATX power supply should work with no problem

If it does have the flat "auxiliary" connection on the motherboard you will need to fond a replacement power supply that has it also.

NOTE: I am not talking about a power lead for a video card.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:24 PM

I would run far away from that Novatech, but that's me. It is just a relabeled generic. They don't even list the rails (that I could find). No active PFC, doesn't have a PCI-E connector and only one SATA connector. I would question whether it is an actual upgrade from what is in your Dell now.

That motherboard takes a standard power supply, no "oddball" Dell connectors on it. Personal favorite: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139004

I have found those for ~$55US (don't know the UK conversion rate) after rebate during sales. Little more expensive than what you planned for, but the peace of mind is worth something.

EDIT: Be careful about reviews on a seller's site, especially when the item in question is branded the same as the storefront selling it.

Edited by dpunisher, 05 March 2009 - 04:25 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:57 PM

Keep in mind that everything in a computer connects to & depends on, the power supply one way or another !

It's getting a little dated but still fairly good for "guide lines" ,

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t4146.html
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 )Cayman(

)Cayman(
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:12 PM

Dell used to use a flat 6 pin "auxiliary" power connector on all of their motherboards.

I suggest you pop open the case & check the connections.
If it doesn't have the flat 6 pin connector to the motherboard then a standard ATX power supply should work with no problem

If it does have the flat "auxiliary" connection on the motherboard you will need to fond a replacement power supply that has it also.

NOTE: I am not talking about a power lead for a video card.

i;ve looked in the case and its a 24-pin mobo cinnection and a 4pin conector

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users