Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bizarre Intermitent Connection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Joe T.

Joe T.

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:56 AM

i am trying to help a friend who is having very peculiar network connection issues.

i've looked through her HJT log and can't see anything that stands out as a problem, and i've had her dig through System32 for signs of Vundo or other recently created files, but nothing there.

Her HiJackThis log is attached, and her problem goes something like this:

Last night she did some software cleanup, updated Firefox to 3.0.7, and ran Windows Defrag. This morning, she can't connect to a lot of websites, but CAN connect to others. For instance, she can't get to this site (hence me helping her), nor Avast, AVG, etc where she could possibly access an on-demand virus scanner. Yahoo Mail also seems not to work.

She's been on the phone with Comcast for network troubleshooting, and they blew her off by resetting the cable modem six times and telling her there's no issue because she can get to Google.

IM and file transfer do work.

Firefox just displays a blank page when she tries to connect. No network response error, or "Connection Failed" with the Try Again button. Just blank.

Internet Explorer can connect to a few of the sites Firefox can't, but still no access to any on-demand scanners.

She can't get AVG to manually request an update, nor Spybot to update its definitions. Pretty much anything relating to her security apps is unable to connect.

She's seen a DLL error pop up, but was typing and hit the Enter key before she could read it, so i don't know what it said.

On one forum she WAS able to access, she saw reference to a possibly corrupted system file, but no specifics.

i'm at a loss at this point, so we're here looking for some help.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joe T.

Joe T.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:13 AM

REQUESTING ADMIN REMOVAL - PROBLEM WAS COMCAST PERFORMING MAINTENANCE

Apparently Comcast was showing its typical colors: the customer service person was rude and insisted there was no network issue, but as soon as 8am (my friend's time) rolled around, all her sites and updaters work now.

Sorry for the dead-end.

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:51 PM

Thank you for informing us.
Good luck.

This Topic is closed.

Should you need it reopened, please contact a Forum Moderator. Include the address of this thread in your request.

If you have a new issue, please start a New Topic.

This applies only to the original poster. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

R,
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users