Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD +-RW opens and closes and does not reconize cd, dvds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ehamilton1

ehamilton1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:51 AM

I have a HP DVD writer 640C, i think, it has always worked until i downloaded some freeware programs to burn cd's, now it opens and closes on it own and when i start and restart my computer. It will not reconize any DVD or CD, is it the drive, or a driver issue, how can i correct the problem so that i may burn DVD's and CD's?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:17 PM

Have you completely uninstalled those "freeware" programs you mentioned? After you do so, go to device manager (start, control panel, system, hardware tab, device manager, or if using vista, you can get to device manager straight from the system window). Go under the DVD/CD drive section, and find your DVD burner. Right click on it and click uninstall. Uninstall it, then restart your computer. This will reinstall your device drivers for it once you start your computer back up.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:20 PM

I remember somewhere that continuous random opening and closing of DVD and CD drive doors is a sign of Malware; more specifically a Trojan. Is your computer slow? Do you have a Anti-Malware software? If you do, run it. If you don't, follow the instructions on this page to download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.

MBAM Instructions
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#4 ehamilton1

ehamilton1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:36 PM

yes i uninstalled prev programs, and uninstalled DVD and restarted computer and new hardware wizard found and installed dvd drive.
I also installed malwarebytes' and ran progrma it found several issues and i fixed all, did not correct problem, drive still opnes at random and when compter starts, it will not read any media. Please help
Thank you,
Eric

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:17 AM

Well...I would temporarily/quickly connect the drive to a different system...and try to isolate just whether the problem is the drive...or your system.

Then progress might be made in dealing with whatever it might be.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users