Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus vs Proactive Defense

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Konstantin

Konstantin

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:28 AM

I have been using various Antiviruses for years and have always been sure that my PC is secure. But recently, while reading this and some other security-related forums I've realised that antivirus is not enough, because it can't protect computer of zero-day attacks. If there is no information about new malware or virus in the signature database of the AV, it will penetrate the computer and infect it.

As far as I understand, for protection of zero-day attacks there is so-called Proactive Defence software, which tracks and blocks "suspicious" behaviour of applications, such as attempts to write itself into autorun, or modify the registry and so on. I know that Comodo and Outpost provide such kind of defense, maybe some other software too, but i don't know yet.

How do you think, is such kind of approach to computer defense promising in long-term or not, and does it worth to use such software in combination with usual antivirus? Or maybe, i don't need antivirus at all if i use decent and well-adjusted proactive defence software?

Please share your experience, if you use such kind of software: does it really protect the PC, is it comfortable to work with etc. What exactly proactive defense software do you use? Does it worth attention overall?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:49 AM

I have been using Comodo's firewall with defense+ for about 2 years now and during that time have had no virus alerts other than the occasional false positive, for files already on my computer.

During that time I have run the following free avs, Avast, Antivir and now Comodo's own. Some people on the Comodo forum were happy to have no antivirus installed, but when I did that I checked with on-line scanners which was more trouble.
James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users