Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

disconnect from Internet?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 missfilippa

missfilippa

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 07 June 2005 - 01:12 PM

I read an alledged tip in a computer magazine recently which suggested that for those who have a cable connection to the Internet and, to avoid getting viruses,
spyware etc. on my computer when I am not using it, I should disconnect
the modem from the CPU.

Does this make sense? Would there be problems were I to follow this procedure?
Please help me on this one... thank you, missfilippa :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 07 June 2005 - 06:33 PM

It makes sense in as much as you won't get anything from the internet if your not actually connected to it. But its hardly practical or necessary. With a good Anti-Virus and Firewall in an updated computer you are well protected. If you shut off your machine when you aren't using it nothing will be able to enter your computer. I use cable and I never shut mine off and nothing gets in here.

Many firewalls have an "internet lock" that can be applied when your not using a machine that is running. If its still a concern, it would be easiest to unplug/turn off your modem.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users