Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home Edition SP2 logon/logoff loop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tejano

tejano

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:09 AM

I have a Gateway running XP Home Edition Service Pack 2. My son downloaded something virulent and I had to deal with the ubiquitous and resistant "Dangerous Spyware" background. Once I got rid of that and verified everything with HJT, I did a virus scan with AVG Free and cleared up a lot of problems.

On restarting after running AVG Free, I can't logon. It doesn't matter whether I try a normal boot, safe mode, or safe mode with command processor. There is only one user name (Owner) and it's the administrator name as well. There are no passwords involved. It's a preinstalled environment and I have neither the Windows XP CD nor a System Restore CD.

When the logon box showing user name appears, the option selected button contains "Shut Down". If I click on "OK", the computer does not shut shut down. Instead, the "Windows is shutting down" message appears, the "Logging off" message flashes, the "Saving your settings" message appears, and then the logon box reappears with the "Shut Down" option still selected.

If I click on the option selected button and then select "Shut Down" and click on "OK", the "Windows is shutting down" message may or may not appear and the computer powers off in three seconds. The logon box does not first reappear and show "Shut Down" as the selected option and allow me to click the logon box "OK" button as it should.

If I select "Restart" and click on "OK", the "Windows is shutting down" message appears and the computer immediately reboots. The logon box does not first reappear and show "Restart" as the selected option and allow me to click the logon box "OK" button as it should.

If I select "Standby" and then click on "OK", the logon box (still containing "Shut Down" as the selectced option) appears, the "preparing to standby" message appears, the monitor goes blank, and the computer immediately goes into standby. The logon box does not first reappear and show "Standby" as the selected option and allow me to click the "OK" button as it should. When reawakened, it's a toss-up as to whether it will come back with the logon box or reboot.

The simplest way to express the fix that I'm looking for is to say, "The logon box seems stuck on the 'Shut Down' option. What do I need to do to cause the logon process to allow me to first select and then approve one of the three options."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,481 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:14 AM

Try using the Last Known Good Configuration.

When the computer is starting, repeatedly tap the F8 key, this should take you to the Windows Advanced Options Menu, once this opens click on Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked).

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:07 AM

Although my problem is unlike yours I do have an intermittent problem signing into Windows XP Home Edition when the flashing mouse cursor icon disappears leaving me with no way to sign in. I used to have to reboot my PC to regain the icon but then found that if instead I press Ctrl + Alt + delete and hold it a new pop up box appears asking for the account name and password which can be used to sign into my PC.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 tejano

tejano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:50 PM

Hi, Guys!

I forgot to say I had tried last configuration. The ctrl+alt+del also. I'm sorry for the oversight.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,481 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:08 AM

If you have the installation CD you need to use the Recovery Console.

Note: You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order to be able to boot from the Windows installation disk.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the]Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

If chkdsk /r doesn't resolve the problem use the same instructions and where you would enter chkdks /r, enter fixmbr.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 tejano

tejano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

I have no XP installation or recovery CD of any kind. Now, I'm wondering whta the odds of recovery are if I take out the drive and put it in another XP PC as a data source rather that a boot target and work on it that way.

#7 tejano

tejano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:55 AM

The way out of this proved to be a parallel install. So, it's resoved. Thaks to all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users