Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guitarist

Guitarist

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:01 AM

I Own an Insignia 27" LCD TV/Monitor which i use as a monitor for my desktop computer. Recently a blue line appeared on the right side of the monitor. its no longer under warranty. is there any tools anyone would recommend to see if i can get this stuck line (not black so its not dead) going again? im assuming the monitor is dying cuz if i talk to someone on msn for 30 mins i can see the outline and some of the words of the name in my screen after i close it burned in for about a half hour :thumbsup: anything i can do to try and fix that problem aswell? i know the monitor is basically falling apart but its not quite dead yet anything i can do to save it for a little longer would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:03 AM

it burned in for about a half hour

You mean the retained image dissipated after about half an hour? In that case it's not uncommon. Except for a few problem ones, LCD's don't get burn-in, but they can show image retention which will fade away after a while when the screen image changes. If that's what happened it probably doesn't indicate a problem.

The blue line sounds like a fault in the column drive, is it a single pixel width or a wider band?
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Guitarist

Guitarist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:56 PM

single pixel width and its blue so ive heard that means its stuck not dead...hope its fixable :thumbsup:

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,808 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:30 AM

Not easily. The driver for one column has failed, an IC integrated into the flex looms inside the LCD panel. It's a specialized repair, would be expensive and may not be easy to find a service capable of doing it.

#5 Guitarist

Guitarist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:38 AM

well... thats no fun :thumbsup: then second question

i have two of the same monitor but one blew in an electrical storm killed the fuse and power supply... but its a 32" and the one that lived is a 27" but it has the blue line think i can use the power supply for the 32" its insignia (future shop/best buy brand)

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,808 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:13 PM

Being in Australia, it's an unknown brand to me. Hard to say whether they might have rationalized by using the same power board in both 27" & 32". Even if they look the same, don't try it unless the boards actually carry the same part number.

You could check the models and see if the replacement power board for each is the same part:

http://bestbuy.partsearch.com/Search/Model...d/Insignia.aspx

and what a replacement actually costs if it's available.

A PSU failure can have damaged something else too, of course...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users