Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Armed101

Armed101

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:27 AM

Hi,
A friend of mine that doesnt know much about pc's needs a Motherboard that supports both AGP and is dual core capable he would like a AMD Processor but isnt that picky... So that he can hold out just a little longer till he can afford his new pc. What Motherboard is there that is out there that has all of those options? Thanks... Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:39 AM

I take it the person has a AGP video card that is intended to be reused.

Most motherboards you find that have a AGP slot & will run dual core CPU's is going to be based on older chipsets & more then like use DDR memory.
Yout friend would be a lot further ahead to get a newer motherboard with a PCI-E video card slot & uses DDR2 memory.
[Ironicly the newer DDR2 memory is less expensive then the older DDR]

A lot of the newer [even low budget] motherboards have onboard video as well as a PCI-E slot.
That means a person can build with out a video card & add one later.

Another plus is most PCI-E video cards are also going to be built with newer cores & better memory then the older AGP cards.

Most any half way decent PCI-E card will out perform almost any AGP card.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:53 AM

To answer your question a ECS P4M800PRO-M (V2.0) will run SOME Core2Duo's , Has slots for both DDR & DDR2 [can't mix the types] , & has a AGP video card slot.

Note: The motherboard came in V1.0 & V2.0 .
ONLY the V2.0 will run the Core2Duo's .

Edited by fairjoeblue, 05 March 2009 - 12:54 AM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:29 AM

Newegg has that motherboard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:14 PM

Newegg shows it as "Deactivated" , meaning they no longer sell it.
That is to be expected since it is dated rechnology.

A personal opinion on Newegg "reviews" .

I have been buying from "the egg" a long tome.
One thing I have learned about their customer reviews is they have to be read & understood.
Many people buy a product & then complain it won't do what it's not supposed to or doesn't have features not listed in the specifications.

An examle is a person that buys a motherboard rated to run a C2D 2.13GHz CPU & then gives the motherboard a bad review saying,

"Wouldn't overclock my C2D 2.13GHz CPU to 5GHz" .

Reviews like that are unfair to the product.

Reviews complaing the product doesn't have features not listed in the specs are unfair .

When reading Newegg reviews only consider the bad reviews that indicate a legitimate complaint like,

"The onboard LAN quit working " .

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:30 AM

Oooops. I did a quick google to find one of these boards, a little too quick it would appear. :thumbsup: I was surprised to see it when the page opened, motherboards with AGP and advanced CPUs are getting rare. I will take a look and see what I can find.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:41 AM

Being dated technology finding one in a "store" might be hard.

There are some listed on ebay,

http://search.ebay.com/P4M800PRO-M_Compute...OQ2dMQQsbrsrtZd

I buy off of ebay but I've used it long enough to know what to look for as far as sellers go.

If I bought one I look for a near perfect feedback rating
At least a No DOA guarantee
& I'd make sure it's v2,0 !

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:44 AM

BTW, I get a kick out of the little wistling guy ! :thumbsup:

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:46 AM

I won't purchase from Ebay any more, too many bad experiences. I don't care what the sellers credentials, there are just too many hurdles if there is a problem with the purchase. I'll stick to retail sales from a reputable seller thank you.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:22 AM

I agree with dc3, there are just too many uncertainties to eBay for it to be reliable. If the buyer is willing to take the risk, go for it, but I know of someone still waiting for their eBay purchase three years after their order.

3939.png

#11 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:35 AM

Ebay is all about knowing how to buy.

In the last 3 years I've had to return 1 item because it wasn't right.
Since I paid through PayPal getting a refund was simple.

I understand that some just don't like ebay though.

Just for the record,
In the past few months I've RMA'd a new motherboard & memory kit to Newegg because they were faulty & that was more of a hassle then ebay !

I won't buy from "TigerDirect" simply because I have never got ANYTHING from them that actually worked .

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:01 PM

I would suggest that if you wish to expound on the virtues of Ebay that you start a topic in the Chat room. This is off topic and effectively is highjacking Armed 101's topic.

#13 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:58 PM

I had no intention of "hijacking" the thread.
I had no intention of taking it "off topic" .

If you go back to post # 9 I'm sure you'll see how "hijack" & "off topic" got started.

If you are going to expound on your dislike of ebay perhaps you should start a topic in the Chat room.

All I did was mention that the motherboard is available on ebay since it probably won't be found in a store.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 06 March 2009 - 12:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users