Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Panda Antivirus 2009 download problem!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 seaspine

seaspine

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:59 PM

If you download the Panda 2009 Antivirus Pro, be sure you look the settings it has for threats. You may see (it's in all my downloads-4) that everything is checked EXCEPT protection against viruses!. That's even after all updates and activation. Just to check, I ran an EICAR scan and, guess what? Nothing! Didn't detect anything. So I checked my other computer and it says the same thing. I then went to the website and downloaded the product again, reactivated it, updated and.......it's still grayed out! So, I contacted Panda-of course you have to pay $20.00 for someone to talk to-and by e-mail they told me that I didn't enter the serial number right. If that was true it wouldn't activate. Needless to say I'm afraid I wasted my money. I'm just putting this out there so that anyone that has purchased the product thinking they are protected from anything other than spyware they may be sadly mistaken. My computer is still hijacked and I hope someone reads my other post before I go ahead with a clean install.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 seaspine

seaspine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:39 AM

Update. WIN32/Vundo in system 32 folder in both computers that downloaded Panda Antiviru 2009.
Symptoms: Svchost.exe (SYSTEM) memory >90k, dwm.exe >50k, browser instability, slow boot, crash,poorly displayed web pages, inability to read similar security e-mails to the same account but from seperate computers.
Called Microsoft about these files (definite):
APPFCONT.DAT
APPFCONT.DAT.bck
APPFLT.CFG
APPFLT.CFG.bck
There were several others. The take home here is that despite running Panda Online Active Scan, Kapersky Scan, Avast Antivirus Free, Malewarebytes, SuperSpySweeper (watch out; there a ssetup.exe file in that one), and Windows Live One Care none of them found it. All scans except for some cookies were all negative. Autoruns clued in on where to look otherwise I would never have found them if I relied on the antivirus scans alone.
Right now the memory leak is improved but still wary due to above events. DO NOT DOWNLOAD PANDA ANTIVIRUS 2009 UNTIL THEY CLEAN THIS MESS UP.

#3 seaspine

seaspine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:45 AM

Oh, yes, I forgot the important part. Microsoft Security looked the properties of the virus files and discovered that they were a part of the Panda Antivirus download. The same files were on both my computers and are not connected wired or wireless and no file transfers. The only real conclusion is that......'..you never know what you're gonna get"

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:12 AM

seaspine,

I see you have an open HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum.
You shouldn't make any changes to your system, while your HJT log is posted, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

I'm closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team.
If, after your log has been cleaned, you still need help, please PM a Moderator and we will re-open this topic.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users