Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix vs disabled Autoplay

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Packrat1947

Packrat1947

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:29 PM

Hello, Resolved - see my reply.

I just ran Combofix on a customerís computer and it did a fine job. Now Iím up and running.

However, I lost the autoplay capability. I used MS autofix.exe against a USB port, and a CD drive. Autoplay still does not work.

Also, looked at the CD drive properties, and autoplay is checked. The cursor flickers a bit, but then the autoplay window does not open.

Any ideas here. A google search reveals that this is common fallout with Combofix.

I expect that someone wants to tell me that this is a security issue. Donít bother. I want Autoplay to work as designed.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Packrat1947

Edited by Packrat1947, 04 March 2009 - 11:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Packrat1947

Packrat1947
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:03 PM

Resolved - Hello again,

Did some googling for "autoplay and combofix" and found this repair. Go into the registry, and if you have this entry delete it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoDriveAutorun

This was provided by a MS tech to fix a Vista machine. This also worked on the XP Home that I'm working on.

Apparently Combofix is making this unannounced change.

Back to happyland of malware removal.

Packrat1947

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users