Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktopsmiley.com

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Idontknowme

Idontknowme

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:20 PM

Well, the toolbar itself is clean

Edited by Idontknowme, 04 March 2009 - 11:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:42 PM

Looks like a Malware site to me. Anyhow; you are not allowed to post malware or virus related sites on this forum. Please refrain from posting them again.

Someone please remove the link?
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#3 Idontknowme

Idontknowme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:26 PM

Well thats the problem.. i do not know if it is a malware site or not(still not sure if it is) that is why i add hxxp in my link to the site to ensure noone accidently clicks it

#4 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:27 PM

May I ask, is there a specific reason why you posted it? Do you plan using the website, or is it just curiosity? I can just search it up with SiteAdvisor for you if that's what you want.

#5 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:29 PM

Well, according to SiteAdvisor, it's a "green" site, but my WOT says otherwise. This site probably has some sort of Malware/Virus added onto it, and will most likely give you Adware (constant pop-ups).

Stay away from this site. Meanwhile, I suggest removing the link in your post. Just in case someone who doesn't have any experience were to go onto it, and they changed hxxp to http.

#6 Idontknowme

Idontknowme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:36 PM

No, it just keep poping up and look suspicious.

Anyways, ill be sure not to post potential malware sites.

I apologize for that.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:18 AM

It is perfectly allowable to ask questions about possible malware sites, just to clarify the point, but without providing a direct live link to them.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:59 AM

You said---"it keeps popping up". Have you installed the program?

According to the site I have linked to below, the program is very ad intensive. Another site said that it refuses to install on a virtual machine and did not offer a EULA before attempting to install. Another said it was installed by a worm. All of that tells me stay away from Desktopsmiley. Way away.

http://www.viewpoints.com/Desktop-Smiley-review-dc8f2
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 Idontknowme

Idontknowme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:31 PM

No, what i meant is when i go to "Megaupload" without signing in to my premium account this Pop Ad from Desktopsmiley appears as soon as i press "Regular Download"..... then Firefox as me if i want to save "Stb_installer.exe" file.

It happens every other 3 files download i do.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:27 PM

If you have not installed the two most popular addons for Firefox, I suggest you do that. They are NoScript and Adblock Plus.
Once installed, they will protect you from "driveby" installs of malware and you will never see any malicious or other ad popups or other advertisements.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

I would also suggest you run a scan with one or both of the programs below.
Super Antispyware and instructions link:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1040160

MalwareBytes AntiMalware and instructions link:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1100727
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 Idontknowme

Idontknowme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:56 PM

Hmm, thxs for the info, but i already have Mbab, SuperAntiSpyware, and SpyBot for immuning my system

Plus 5 anti rookits tools along with 2 online av scanners

O and of course Avast! Also i'll be sure to get those ad ons... and again thxs a lot for the help Buddy.

O btw, should i get both or just one of them??

Edited by Idontknowme, 05 March 2009 - 02:23 PM.

#12 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:59 PM

Idont,

Get both. They are both different items, one is a Javascript Blocker/Controller, another is an No Advertisement tool.

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:20 PM

As swordie said, yes, get both.
Also, if you haven't blocked the third party cookies (adware and tracking cookies) you should do that, too.

In Firefox:
click on tools
click on options
click on privacy tab
uncheck "accept third party cookies

Then run a quick scan with Super Antispyware to remove all of the third party cookies that are presently installed. (if any)

#14 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:46 PM

Also, I'd still suggest running MBAM after SAS. This is just a extra precaution so you don't get those nasties again.

#15 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:26 PM

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/desktopsmiley.com

The site is not clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users