Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange comp behaviours

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sucosam

sucosam

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:47 PM

Hi everyone.

Running Windows XP Pro

So I have some interesting issues and I'm having a heck of a time to resolve them. It started out where I had attempted to install a license for a movie I was trying to watch in Windows Media player. It never seemed to download and I ended up doing end task on it. Yes, this was a downloaded movie. At any rate, things were sluggish before this occured in terms of computer performance, but have become worse since.

After aborting the license install attempt, I rebooted, and when I came back up, the first thing I noticed was my start menu bar had the Windows classic look to it instead of the green and blue XP look. I tried opening IE and got the hourglass for a moment and then nothing. Looking in task manager, I could see iexplore.exe for a split second then it disappeared. I tried re-registering some DLL files, but this hasn't helped.

I searched online (on another computer) and tried some tricks that involved loading windows with minimal services, and this seemed to make it worse. I couldn't load IE, but I could play world of warcraft. go figure. I'm writing this now while in Safe Mode. My audio doesn't work if I load iTunes, or YouTube, but I can hear startup and shutdown wavs files. If I go to Volume control (through start menu, as speaker icon in system tray is gone) I get the error message "there are no active mixers available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware. this message will close"

I installed Spybot S&D but can't launch it. I can't even install AdAware. I ran my Cogeco Security software and it found 23 viruses. I did Clean/Quarantine on all of them, rebooted, but still have issues launching IE, or running much of my software. Also, when I do get IE loaded, and I go to a search engine, I can search for something like 'recipes'...but when I click on a link, it comes up with something that looks like scam pages...not the link I clicked.

The way I've been getting IE to actually is through start menu -> run -> regsvr32 "c:\program files\internet explorer\ieproxy.dll" then the page seems to load. I've tried several online free virus scans but they have found nothing (pandasecurity) or didn't run (mcafee) due to having no ActiveX...and I can't seem to install it, or don't know how.

I also get this error message quite frequently...in fact, got it when I clicked the Post Topic button to add the initial message:
"the instruction at "0x75606e6a" referenced memory at "0x00000008". The memory could not be read. Click OK to terminate the program.

I still feel I have viruses, or malware, or something. I'm not sure what to do next, or what options I have. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

sucosam

Edited by sucosam, 04 March 2009 - 09:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guitarist

Guitarist

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:00 PM

Hmm.. for a start heres a link that may help with your error message

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830724

and since your still having problems with IE i recommend doing an online scan with a few different virus softwares (they are free heres 3 i recommend below) ive come to learn there is no one good virus software although nod32 is my fav and kaspersky is my 2nd because most people have norton because it is so well advertised but viruses are usually made to target people with it to get around it because 90% of peopel have it because there computer came with the free trial... anyways point is theres 3 online scans that will prob find and quarantine some viruses for you

http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

lastly the movie part... kl lite codec pack and media player classic is what id recommend to watch movies

hope this helps as there arent any other responses yet

#3 Guitarist

Guitarist

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:04 PM

oh sorry somewhow i missed you tried doing online scans, to install the active x control it usually will pop up at the top of your screen on the page in a yellow bar right click it and go to install active x control make sure the name is what you want to install (e.g. Kaspersky, Ewido/AVG or ESET/Nod32 wheen using those online scans otherwise i wouldnt install them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users