Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Browser Window Unexpectedly Closes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 busam1

busam1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 07 June 2005 - 08:13 AM

Internet Explorer browser window unexpectedly closes within half-minute of opening window. (IE Ver 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp1.020828-1920, Update Ver SP1)

Problem occurs:

1) when navigating within or between various websites; or entering data or operating mouse; or just viewing (no mouse or keyboard action).

2) when one window or several windows open.

3) frequently after PC first booted up; less frequently after running XoftSpy anti-spyware or McAfee VirusScan; less frequently after PC has been on for awhile (30 minutes).

4) Does NOT affect IE browser window for cox.com email http://webmail.coxmail.com/ .

Related problem: While entering data on website or scrolling mouse within website, the entry or mouse operation is interrupted. Must left-click mouse to continue.

PC is frequently infected with Aurora (Nail.exe), PartyPoker.ico, and various adware and data minor cookies.

What is probable cause and fix?

PC: Compaq Presario S4300CL, Windows XP Home (Ver 5.1, SrvPk 1)
Internet Connection: Cox broadband cable
Protection: McAfee Personal Firewall Plus (Build 6.6.6144, default settings); McAfee VirusScan (Build 9.1.08, Engine 4.4.00, DAT 4.0.4506)
Frequent Websites: http://www.investorshub.com/boards/default.asp ; http://finance.yahoo.com/ ; http://www.bungie.net/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 busam1

busam1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 02:40 AM

IE Browser problem persists. Internet Explorer browser window unexpectedly closes within 20-30 seconds of opening one or more windows, especially for 15-30 minutes after computer is first booted up. Problem may then stop for hour or more, then may later reappear sporadically. Does not appear to affect websites such as cox.mail.com or online banking programs, or off-line applications (word, excel, etc.). :thumbsup:

Related data entry problem also continues to persist most of time. While entering data on any website or scrolling mouse within website, the entry or mouse operation is interrupted. Must left-click mouse onto site to continue. :flowers:

Doctor SpyWare and XoftSpy anti-spyware successfully blocked repeated infections by AURORA and PARTYPOKER, but do not appear to correct IE browser closing problem. Repeated anti-spyware scans show no infections. And McAfee VirusScan and McAfee Personal FireWall Plus show no virus infections.

Edited by busam1, 11 June 2005 - 02:42 AM.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 11 June 2005 - 02:51 AM

What version of XoftSpy are you using?
This is concerning versions earlier than v4.0, which used to be on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites list.

Hi All:

I did a test install of XoftSpy downloaded from paretologic.com. Here's what I can tell you:

1. The interface is garbage, broken. On my box (Win2K w/SP4, IE6 w/SP1, Office 2K) the main program window and all dialog boxes were mangled, bleeding into surrounding screen elements (see "Main Window" above). Looks like a cheap "rent-a-coder" job -- not very well done.

2. The system scan flagged three items: 2 for CoolWebSearch, one for MSConnect. All were Registry keys and all were false positives. The MSConnect false positive was particularly hilarious as it flagged a Netscape Reg key for Sun Java 1.4.2_04. (See "Scan Results" above.)

3. When I attempted to remove/clean the flagged items, I got a notice box informing me that I had to register and pay (see "Register Notice" above).

I should note I performed this scan with the latest updates available (an "Update" check reported that there were no new updates available).

In short, based on my brief experience with this application, I'd give the same advice that I gave in the SpywareInfo thread: stay away, esp. given that there are excellent, free anti-spyware tools with a proven track record and a deserved reputation for doing the job right.

The performance of XoftSpy, I might add, is completely consistent with other dicey/questionable anti-spyware apps that I've tested: false positives used to goad unsuspecting users into paying for protection they don't need (at least not from said application).

Best,

Eric L. Howes

Have you done as jgweed suggested, in your post here?
PartyPoker (PartyPoker.ico & shortcut), How to stop PartyPoker reinfection?
If his suggestion doesn't work, I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.

Read the pinned post in the HijackThis forum, here
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully.

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

Edited by tg1911, 11 June 2005 - 03:02 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 busam1

busam1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:32 AM

tq1911:

Running XoftSpy Version 4.13 w/data updates.

Also running Spyware Doctor Version 3.02360 w/data updates.

After running SpyWare Doctor, PartyPoker reinfections and Aurora reinfections stopped and have not returned.

IE Browser problem persists. Internet Explorer browser window unexpectedly closes within 20-30 seconds of opening one or more windows, especially for 15-30 minutes after computer is first booted up. Problem may then stop for hour plus, then may later reappear sporadically. :thumbsup:

Related data entry problem also appears to have stopped. While entering data on any website or scrolling mouse within website, the entry or mouse operation is interrupted. Must left-click mouse onto site to continue. This appears to have stopped. Only action taken was to run Spyware Doctor several times over several days.

Edited by busam1, 16 June 2005 - 12:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users