Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vista pc backup formatted ext hard drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nicola-Pickle

Nicola-Pickle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:05 PM

Hi,

I have a problem that I wondered if others have experience of and that I am keen not to repeat. (I was doing a clean vista reinstall and am wanting to save complete pc backups at different stages to give me different options of when to revert to).

I used a vista complete pc backup that I had recently made to "reinstall" vista ultimate. I have drive C main drive running vista of which I had made the backup, plus D drive a 2nd internal hard drive on which I had a complete backup of C. I also had an external hard drive on which I had another complete backup of C on too. I opted to use the backup from D but left external hard-drive named FREEECOM attached.

Then after I had completed the restoring of the backup to C from the backup on D; I was astonished to find that the external hard drive had been wiped clean completley - and it was now named LACIE which is the name of my other external hard drive - I think LACIE may have been attached when the oringinal backup of C had been done onto D, though it had info on it.

I was not aware at any point of having the option of formatting/deleting data from the external hard drive during the restoration of the backup. Has anyone else experienced this? I couldn't find info about it. I might in future want to create a complete pc backup onto an external hard disc and use it to restore; do you think it might then wipe out my 2nd internal (D) drive?

Incidentally I had difficulty locating the correct date - one of my two backup images had been done twice in quick succession (within one 24 hours period) - I had difficulty spotting an option to choose the earlier of the two which is what I would have preferred.

Thanks so much for any advice - much appreciated, Nicola-Pickle

Edited by Nicola-Pickle, 04 March 2009 - 06:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

I'm not real familiar with the Complete PC Backup tool - but suspect that the Complete Restore restored everything to the way that it was when you made the image, to include the LACIE drive.

I've got no clue as to why the data is gone.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users