Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Mozzila Thunderbird and AVG anti virus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rpm2

rpm2

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:07 PM

I have a problem with one of the computers here at work. When I go to download email nothing happens. I have been having problems with AVG anti virus lately also. I think the troubles are tied together.

Avg shows that the resident shield is not active. Also every time I do an update it wants me to restart my computer. I have tried to uninstall AVG, but the computer want uninstall the program. I don't know what to do.

I am doing a Super anti spyware scan as I am writing. Any suggestions?

I also have these other programs loaded on the computer:
Malwarebytes
ATF-Cleaner
CCleaner
These programs were brought from home and downloaded via memory stick.

The last problem is I have dial-up here at work so any downloads could take for ever. I am using another computer to post this message.

Thanks
Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:59 PM

First, do you have permission to run these applications on a work computer? What does your IT dept. have to say? They might want to use other resources
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 rpm2

rpm2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:27 AM

Well,
As sad as this will sound. I guess I'm the IT guy. We are a small machine shop. Email and cad software are our life blood. I am thinking about deleting the Mozilla Thunderbird program and re- installing it. I just hate to lose my email and addresses. I know I can save my profile file and have the emails and addresses. But I'm afraid I will reinfect my program when I reload Mozilla Thunderbird.

I have tried to remove the AVG anti-virus, but it want remove. If I try update anti-virus it wants to restart the computer. I know I have a problem with the updates because the computer beside this one is running the same programs and has no problems and doesn't try to restart every time it updates. More than anything I would like to be to remove the AVG anti-virus. And try to start from there.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:56 AM

I would like to be to remove the AVG anti-virus

AVG Removal Tools
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 rpm2

rpm2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:15 PM

I got the AVG removed and was able to receive emails. What will be my next move as far as re-installing AVG to get it to work correctly. I probably should run some of the spyware & malware remover before reinstalling the AVG.

It will be tomorrow before I can reply.

Thanks
Robert

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:05 PM

I would just try to download it again. There really should not be any issues.
When offered to do the standard or typical installation, select custom instead. That way you can opt-out of installing their stupid toolbar and crap. You can also de-select their email scanner if you use something else
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users