Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CMD.EXE fails

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rboone2020

rboone2020

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:22 PM

Folks,

My laptop uses Windows XP, with updates enabled (newest service packs, etc.). I use the "command window" frequently, but lately I have been unable to get it to open. The screen goes blank for a few moments, then returns to the desktop.

I have run many scans to check for malware (Symantec is always on, Ad aware, Spy Bot, Mawarebytes, etc.) but no success. I have rebooted, of course. I've also restored the system to a last good set-up, but no change. I've used the SFC (or the like) Windows command using /scannow, to ensure Windows core files are good. I've also checked CMD.EXE against a copy on another machine, and the date and size are appropriate.

Any thoughts? Your help is appreciated.

Randy Boone

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:56 PM

If you've already run sfc /scannow, then I would suggest running chkdsk /r command.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (with space between k and /) and hit Enter. Type Y in response to query and hit OK/Enter.

Reboot the system and let the command run to completion, system will reboot when command is done.

You might defrag your C: after that.

When this has happened to me, those are the steps I took.

Louis

#3 rboone2020

rboone2020
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:57 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the response. A chkdsk was a good idea. Unfortunately, the problem remains.
Do you or the group have any other thoughts?

Thanks again,
Randy

#4 bfasula

bfasula

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:39 AM

You've got malware. Several people have had this problem.

#5 rboone2020

rboone2020
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:31 PM

I was thinking the same. Any advice on cleaning, or should I repost in the malware forum?

RB

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:30 AM

You should post in Am I Infected.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:51 AM

Are you getting any error message when this occurs?

Look in the Event Viewer and see what errors are showing up at the times that this is happening.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

On the right side of the page you will see the options Applications, Security, and Systems, double click on Systems. There are eight columns on this page, the three that you will want are Type, Date, Time, and Event.

The errors will appear in the Type column, they are red dots with a white X inside of them.

Warnings will appear as a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside.

When you see an error, double click on it and see what the description is.

Please post the error code/s found in the Event column and the descriptions back in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 rboone2020

rboone2020
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:42 AM

Outstanding. We're getting somewhere. No, there isn't an error when I run CMD.EXE, in so far as the red dot with an x and such. But helpful, I think ...

When I run CMD.EXE, an entry appears that says:
"Information"
The date and time
"Service Control Manager" for Source
"None" for Category
"7036" for Event number
"SYSTEM" for User the first time I try, "N/A" for times where I try right after
And the computer name.

Then the most helpful bit. The fuller description always says:
"The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service was successfully sent a start control. For more information, see Help and Support Center at [url="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.""]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."[/url]

When I search for application error 7036 on cited web site, I'm afraid it returns a slew of information, with nothing specific to CD burning.

Thanks again,
Randy

#9 bfasula

bfasula

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:46 AM

It it's the same malware problem that some people, including myself have had, you should be able to make a copy of CMD.EXE such as CMD1.EXE which will work.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:04 AM

It looks like this may be a corrupted registry file, if you have the installation disk try doing a Repair Installation, you won't lose any data doing this.

Note: The system repair function will remove any updates you have previously installed that are not included on the CD. Drivers will also be reverted to their original XP versions, as well as some settings (network & performance settings may sometimes be reset to their defaults). It may be necessary to reactivate your Windows XP as well. When finished, you will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update, because they are all replaced during repair.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 rboone2020

rboone2020
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for the pointers. I did attempt to repair the Windows system. Things went normally, with the prompts and such progressing just as you said. The system repaired normally, it seemed, but got stuck in a loop. It would reset and re-repair over and over. It would count the minutes down, then reboot, and then go right back to 39 minutes until complete, basically a big loop I followed for a couple of hours. I removed the XP disk a couple of times, but it failed to boot, and I would then restart and rejoin the loop.

So I installed XP, as you suggested I might need to, without formatting the drive. I then backed up the entire drive. I then reinstalled XP allowing a full format. I've finished reinstalling most of the software, and will restore the data directories in a bit. So all in all, problem solved. A little heavy handed a solution, but the machine will be healthier for it in the long run.

Thanks once again for your help,

Randy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users