Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problems with automatic updates

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dan2424

dan2424

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:20 PM

My PC, running XP professional, was recently infected w/ several strains of vundo malware. After several days in the HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum, with the much appreciated help of SifuMike, it appears we have cleared my pc of malware. However I continue to have a few lingering problems, all of which seem to be related to automatic updates. The symptoms include:

1. Persistent Windows Security Center warning in my system tray stating that my automatic updates are not active. When I open the security center and try to turn on automatic updates, it states that the security center could not change the automatic updates settings, and recommends going through Control Panel/Settings. However, when I check there it shows that automatic updates are active.

2. When I attempted to go to Windows Update or Microsoft Update I got an error: 0x80070422, and the following message:

"The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is not running:

Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install high-priority updates for your computer)
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with troubleshooting, if needed)
To make sure these services are running:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click Properties.
10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
If this does not resolve the problem you may request help from one of the following resources.

For self-help options:

Frequently Asked Questions
Find Solutions
Windows Update Newsgroup
For assisted support options:
Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number 0x80070422) yourself."

I followed these instructions but wasn't able to start any of them. For automatic updates it stated access is denied. For the BIT service it said it could not find the file specified. For the Event Log the options were grayed out. After some of the fixes I tried (will describe below), I now get Error number: 0x80070424.

3. During the course of removing my malware infection, I had to remove Windows Defender from my PC. I have now reinstalled it, but it is unable to automatically update its definitions, and gives the same error # noted above (0x80070422). I was able to manually download the most current definitions and manually install them without problem, so once again this seems to be related to my problems w/ automatic updates.

I believe that pretty well summarizes my problems...now for what I have tried to do about it. With the assistance of SifuMike, I tried a few things:

1. As described above I tried to make the changes in services.msc, without any luck.

2. We scanned C:\16462536, c:\program files\Microsoft ActiveSync\rapimgr.exe, and c:\program files\Network Associates\VirusScan\VsTskMgr.exe with http://www.virustotal.com/en/indexf.html, but found them to be clean.

3. I followed the instructions @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958043, including creating and running the described Repair.bat

4. I did the following, as per the recs of SifuMike:

We need to repair some of windows' internal registration settings

1. Please download Dial-A-Fix from one of the following mirrors:
* Primary Mirror
* Secondary Mirror
2. Extract the zip file to your desktop.
3. Double click Dial-a-Fix.exe to start the program.
4. Press the green double checkmark box (Looks like this: )
5. UNcheck "Empty Temp Folders", as well as "Adjust Time/Date" in the prep section. The prep section should then look like this:
6. When the window looks like this, press the GO button in the bottom of the window.
7. Exit/Close Dial-A-Fix

I did as described, and the three messages below came up during the WU/WUAU section.

"Error -2147024891 was encountered while trying to unregister C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll. The error text is: Access is denied.
Dial-a-fix currently has no suggestions for this error code. Please email dial-a-fix@DjLizard.net with a copy of the log pane and any details you can
provide about this error."

"An error occurred during registration of the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll (version 7.2.6001.788).
The next dialog will contain an error code and possible suggestions."

"Error 0x80070005: 'Access denied'. It is suggested that you run "Repair permissions" which is found in the Tools dialog. Windows XP users will need
secedit.exe to perform the repair - [url="http://DjLizard.net/software/secedit-sfx.exe""]http://DjLizard.net/software/secedit-sfx.exe"[/url]

After running this, I still could not turn on autoupdate or run windows update (this was the point when I started getting the new error message 0x80070424).
I have not yet run "Repair permissions" as suggested in the third error message. At this point, SifuMike recommended I ask in this forum.

Edited by dan2424, 04 March 2009 - 09:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,750 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:51 PM

Worth a look: http://www.fermu.com/content/view/156/37/lang,us/

Louis

#3 dan2424

dan2424
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:29 PM

I tried the suggestion from that site...everything worked except for:

regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll

When I entered this line I got error 0x80070005. Still no luck w/ my automatic updates.

Any other ideas?

Edited by dan2424, 04 March 2009 - 11:29 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,750 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:05 PM

Well...I would turn off auto updates and see if I could manually update.

More references (which you have probably already seen):

How to troubleshoot problems connecting to Windows Update or to Microsoft Update - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818018

Microsoft Windows Update Troubleshooter - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

I'd probably try a repair install of XP, after a bout with malware, but that's just me.

Louis

#5 dan2424

dan2424
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

I get the impression that automatic updates has to be functioning on my pc in order for me to use the microsoft/windows update site. Is it possible to reinstall the whole automatic updates system and start over?

What exactly do you mean by a repair install of xp? I'm not familiar with that and have never done it.

Edited by dan2424, 05 March 2009 - 07:23 PM.

#6 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:25 PM

You insert the original Windows XP disk, and run the Recovery Console. It will not alter any of your files.. But I do not advise doing it on your own without a guide or help.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,750 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:07 PM

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If automatic updates was a mandatory function...it would not be an option for users, it would be mandatory and just built into the Windows operating system as a function that cannot be turned on or off.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=t...mp;aq=f&oq=

Louis

#8 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:18 AM

I have collected one article which might be useful to troubleshoot this problem.

Quoted from Microsoft Online Support

"This issue may occur because of a corrupted SoftwareDistribution folder. We will rename this corrupt folder so that a new one is created when you access the site. Please follow the steps I have listed below.

We will first stop the Automatic Updates Service

1. Click Start. Choose Run.
2. In the Run box, type services.msc. Click OK.
3. Right-click the Automatic Updates Service. Click Stop.

After Stopping the Service we will rename the folder C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

1. Open Windows Explorer. Navigate to the Windows folder
2. Click on the + next to the Windows folder
3. Navigate to SoftwareDistribution folder. Right Click on the SoftwareDistribution folder
4. Select rename from the Menu
5. Rename the folder to SoftwareDistribution.old and click Enter
6. Now restart the Automatic Update Service.

Now restart the Automatic Updates service

a. Click Start. Choose Run.
b. In the Run box, type services.msc. Click OK.
c. Right-click the Automatic Updates Service. Click Start.

Now disable any firewall and antivirus software that may be running in the background and go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com check whether the issue is resolved."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users