Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Functionality

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BrianK

BrianK

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 07 June 2005 - 05:39 AM

Hi,
We have a network running on Windows 2000 Server.

First:
Is it possible to have some sort of traceability on file movements in Windows Explorer. Often directories go missing from shared network drives, and usually turn up dragged and dropped into another directory. If we could trace which user-name performed this action, it would help us eliminate the problem.

Second:
Is it possible to have 'Are You Sure?' prompts when you try to move a directory, or delete a directory from a shared network drive?

Third:
When someone deletes a file or folder from a shared network drive, it has to be restored from the nightly back-up. Is there some sort of 'network recycle bin' function available.

Thanks in advance,
Brian.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2005 - 01:15 PM

Hi,
We have a network running on Windows 2000 Server.

First:
Is it possible to have some sort of traceability on file movements in Windows Explorer. Often directories go missing from shared network drives, and usually turn up dragged and dropped into another directory. If we could trace which user-name performed this action, it would help us eliminate the problem.

Second:
Is it possible to have 'Are You Sure?' prompts when you try to move a directory, or delete a directory from a shared network drive?

Third:
When someone deletes a file or folder from a shared network drive, it has to be restored from the nightly back-up. Is there some sort of 'network recycle bin' function available.

Thanks in advance,
Brian.

for your adding a are you sure prompt theyre's probably is some registry tweak somewhere, it just hasnt gone public yet.

For your tracing account actions, theres definately a program that does that.....ill do some searching to see if i can find one.

And for number 3 i dont think thats possible.

If your having problems with someone deleting something may i sggest adding some security...maybe password protecting certain files.....?

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2005 - 02:24 PM

It sounds like you have a serious security problem occurring and there are certainly tracking programs out there - although maybe not on laymen's level. That information may already exist in your machine somewhere.

#4 BrianK

BrianK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2005 - 03:41 AM

We doe construction projects. There is a directory which has all the drawings for each project in project ID folders, which all 20 droughts persons have access to.
But some seem a bit to eager when saving, moving, editing or copying drawings. And this is where the problem arises.
I know who is most likely responsible, and figured gently approaching and some light training would be the best approach. But as usual, I met resistance, denial and the desire to blame someone else and/or the computer.

So concrete evidence and the ability to notify someone if they are moving a directory is my best option.

Thanks for the help.

#5 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:35 AM

This rings a bell for me; sorry to say I know of nothing that will do what you're hoping. Except it seems like it might be possible to populate a log file with any and all file and folder move, add, deletes.

Those big open network shares can get really tricky; be nice to have read-only access for most and maybe let them create a new folder where they could copy and then make their changes in without disturbing the 'master'. But if all 20 really need to be editors it's another type of mess to work in all the changes.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread if anyone can come up with some constructive advice. Good luck.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:43 AM

For absolute proof install key logger software on your suspect's computer.

Additionally, when files such as the ones you are describing are created, save a master or template copy in a file that is not shared and for which only one admin has access.

Edited by Enthusiast, 08 June 2005 - 10:52 AM.

#7 BrianK

BrianK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:07 AM

Is there an open source key logger available?

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:45 AM

Why does it have to be open source?

I'm sure there are several agvailable to the computer security industry.

Here are a couple I found in just a few minutes of searching:

http://www.widestep.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users