Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alt Codes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ާyh

ާyh

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:20 AM

I would like to find a definitive Alt Code Chart. Occasionally, I find myself needing to type a special character into a text box and having the dilemma of whether to guess it, perform a google search or go to insert symbol in windows. I would choose google search everytime but I am yet to find a really decent alt code chart. They often have slight differences or are limited.

The best I've come across so far is accurate but limited to Alt + 254:
http://www.tedmontgomery.com/tutorial/altchrc.html

Does anyone have or know of a really good resource for these?

For those of you that don't know, if you hold alt and type numbers on the keypad, you can get a whole host of special characters including the normal ASCII range (A-Z, a-z, 0-9, punctuation etc.) for example Alt + 123 gives you the character {

Can anyone also explain how the codes work in detail, for example Alt + 789 = , Alt + 456 = ╚, Alt + 123 { but Alt + 789456123 =
which you obviously can get in an earlier sequence (Alt + 251).
At what point do they repeat the characters?

It seems to depend on what program you are using as well, on my version of Word for instance, if I press Alt and mash the numberpad for a while it gives me Chinese characters!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:50 PM

http://www.usefulshortcuts.com/alt-codes/ has a printable .pdf format code chart, broken down by category of use. Click the red link if you don't want updates. http://www.usefulshortcuts.com/alt-codes/c...f-alt-codes.php

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:41 PM

I always wondered how to make those strange symbols. Thanks Animal!
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:20 AM

yeah cant say as I ever knew either. thanks! I learned something new today.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:29 AM

Beyond the agreed characters up to ASCII 127, it varies depending on the font. You can examine the extended character set provided by each font using the Character Map utility:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315684

For maximum information check the Advanced view box.

Edited by Platypus, 14 March 2009 - 06:30 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:59 PM

Yup, run Character Map (its in Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools; or Start->Run->charmap.exe).

You can use it to peruse the various fonts installed on your system. You can also copy characters from it to be pasted elsewhere.

As for charts, there are two main ones for English systems. Theres the one that DOS uses, and is what you get when you press something like Alt-1-7-8 (one of the shading characters as seen on that that chart linked to in the first post). Windows uses a different character map for its main use, which is what you get when you press Alt-0-1-7-8 (). Make sure you press (or dont press as the situation requires), 0 before the number.

Languages other than English have their own maps, so there are way too many to just print out and use. Besides, take a look at Character Map using the default Arial Unicode MS font. There are thousands of characters in it. A double-wide character set can have up to 65,536 characters in it, and there are even bigger ones out there (since even 64K isnt enough for all the glyphs of all the languages, and symbols in the world). Do you really want a chart that big?

Oh, and yes, youre right about it depending on the program because they have different font support. For example, you cant just paste a Greek letter into Notepad unless you specifically change it to a Unicode font, or else it will render as a box, but you can paste it into a web browser or Wordpad, and it will automatically adjust (auto, multiple font selection).

HTH
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

#7 solerider

solerider

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:22 PM

Cool tip. Thanks :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users