Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD & SDTV Questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Unique666

Unique666

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:38 AM

None of the other sections of the forum looked like the right place to post this, so I have decided to post it here. I'm interested in buying an SD or HD television, and I have a couple of questions:

1. If I get a TV with a digital tuner, will I be able to play my old Nintendo and PlayStation games on it, or will I have to run the console through a converter box?

2. My parents have an HDTV and get TV using an antenna, but none of the TV channels here are in HD. One of the news channels actually lies to their viewers by playing this commercial stating, "News channel x, now broadcast in HD!" but when we press the info button on the remote, they are in the digital equivalent of standard definition. So, having an HDTV here is pointless for me, but I'd get one if SD and HD were around the same price.

3. Where should I shop for an SD or HDTV with dual tuners (analog and digital) in the USA, given that I'll need the analog one to play older video game consoles. I want a smaller sized TV that I can easily take places.

4. What about VCRs and DVD players? I'm guessing both won't work on a digital TV since they record and play in analog.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:33 AM

Some quick answers:

None of the other sections of the forum looked like the right place to post this, so I have decided to post it here. I'm interested in buying an SD or HD television, and I have a couple of questions:

1. If I get a TV with a digital tuner, will I be able to play my old Nintendo and PlayStation games on it, or will I have to run the console through a converter box?

I believe most Digital/HD TVs have both NTSC (re: analog) and ATSC (re: digital) tuners. As long as the set has both, you'll have no problem.

2. My parents have an HDTV and get TV using an antenna, but none of the TV channels here are in HD. One of the news channels actually lies to their viewers by playing this commercial stating, "News channel x, now broadcast in HD!" but when we press the info button on the remote, they are in the digital equivalent of standard definition. So, having an HDTV here is pointless for me, but I'd get one if SD and HD were around the same price.

Does that set have both tuners, NTSC and ATSC? Many of the early digital sets did not. If it does, they should have the set re-scan for both analog and digital over-the-air signals. If not, then they need that converter box to recieve digital signals, just like folks with older sets.

3. Where should I shop for an SD or HDTV with dual tuners (analog and digital) in the USA, given that I'll need the analog one to play older video game consoles. I want a smaller sized TV that I can easily take places.

I believe you'll find that most new LCD/Plasma TVs have both tuners. The printed specifications on any new TV will list this.

4. What about VCRs and DVD players? I'm guessing both won't work on a digital TV since they record and play in analog.

Most digital TV's have multiple inputs to accomodate older VCR's and DVD players.

Maybe this: PBS's Robert X. Cringely -"Digital TV: A Cringely Crash Course" will help.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:00 AM

Or this site:

DTV Answers

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 srenwo

srenwo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:32 AM

You can also do some more research and look at the LCD TV ratings of various brands. You might find the answers by reading the expert reviews.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:51 AM

1. YES, no reason game consoles won't work on current TV's sold.

2. Digital broadcasts can be from 480I to 720P to 1080I. Just because a signal is digital, doesn't mean it will be in HD, hence a regular SDTV won't be able to pick up that signal anyway. Buying a SDTV/NTSC only now is pointless even if you can find one.

4. They work just fine. VCRs and DVD players have "video/audio out" connectors. VCRs won't record the new signals though, so they are pretty much useless unless you have a bunch of old tapes to watch.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users