Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SpaceGoonie

SpaceGoonie

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:10 AM

I had a Virus that was preventing my AV software (McAfee) from downloading new definitions, and whenever I tried to go to Windows Update I would get redirected to Google.com.

In my foolish attempts to solve the problem on my own I reinstalled Windows which took me back to SP1, but nothing else changed.

I eventually found someone in these forums with the same problem that may or may not have been resolved, (the thread was closed after 5 days). I followed the instructions in that thread by running "ComboFix" and "GMER". I have the logs for both. It appears that they have eliminated the threat as my AV program is now up to date and i'm no longer being redirected to Google. However, now when I try to reach Windows Update nothing happens. It just endlessly tries to connect to the site and I have to control/alt/delete to close the window. I usually get the "This program is not responding" message.

Please help me update Windows... Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpaceGoonie

SpaceGoonie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:49 AM

I believe i'm now good to go. I closed all other open pages and reattempted to reach Windows Update. It took 15 minutes, but i'm now reinstalling all the old updates that were lost when I reinstalled Windows.

If you have any questions about my specific issues in the above post to aid in helping others i'll be happy to share.

Once again, my original problem was a virus that prevented my Anti Virus program from updating and clicking on Windows Update would redirect me to Google.com.

Running ComboFix and GMER resoved those issues.

Thank you!

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,940 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

Glad to hear your issue has been resolved but please note the message text in blue at the top of this forum.

You should not be using Combofix unless instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert who can interpret the logs. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Combofix was never meant to be used as a general purpose malware scanner like SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.

GMER is a stand-alone tool that will help investigate for the presence of rootkits. It will not actually tell you if you are infected or not unless you know what you're looking for. If you're unsure how to use GMER or read its logs, then use another instead. Some ARK tools are intended for advanced users or under the guidance of an expert as they are powerful and can be misused with disastrous results. There are many free ARK tools but some require a certain level of expertise and investigative ability to use.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 SpaceGoonie

SpaceGoonie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:47 PM

Yeah, I read all that "after" I did everything. On the plus side, I had the exact same problem that the person who's advice I copied had. But I have taken note of the rules and understand the risks. Thanks.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,940 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:43 PM

It's not a safe practice to be following specific instructions provided to someone else. Instructions given to others have been formulated to fix that particular members problems, NOT YOURS after careful evaluation of the malware involved. Although your problem may be similar, the solution could be different based on the kind of hardware, software, system requirements, etc. and the presence of other malware. Using someone else's fix instructions could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system.

If you need assistance in the future, it's best that you tell us what specific issues YOU are having rather than point to someone else. That's what this forum is for so feel free to start your own topic anytime and someone will assist you with your issues specifically.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users