Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken External Hard drive (Lacie)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 krazy2chat

krazy2chat

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:33 PM

I dropped my hard drive and ever since, it wont connect to my PC it makes a weird clunking, whining sound and that's all.
Once, i took it apart and held the wire at a certain angle, and it worked for around half a minute, but since then it's stopped

i was just wondering if there was any chance of getting all the files off of it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:19 AM

You would have to send it to a place like Data Tech Labs. Usually if you drop an external drive, it throws the actuator arms off and it probably scratched the platters. If the data on there is really important, I would send it to Data Tech or another company that does data retrieval. I warn you though, it usually will not be cheap. If the data is not so important, just forget it and move on.

You might also want to try holding the drive a different angles till you stop hearing the noise, but it is a long shot.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 krazy2chat

krazy2chat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:49 PM

i had a feeling i would have to send it off, but that's a bit expensive. I just lost tonnes of music and what not, and the holding it at different angles doesn't really work but thankyou anyhow :thumbsup: :huh: xx

#4 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:54 PM

If you have the music on your Internal Hard Drive, just replace your old one and your back up.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#5 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:58 PM

I dropped mine as well not to long ago and I received a new one because it was under warranty. The new is wrapped in padding now... lol

#6 krazy2chat

krazy2chat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:05 PM

i had over 110gig of music on my external hard drive =( and only a tiny bit of music on my computer. Guess ill need to get a new one, i will check if it's under warranty, fingers crossed!xx

#7 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:07 PM

110 GB? :thumbsup: That's alot to replace..

#8 krazy2chat

krazy2chat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:11 PM

It's irreplaceable =( However i did transfer about 90GB of my music onto my brother's and my cousin's hard drive =)... so that's a plus..SOME OF IT BACK..:thumbsup: i also lost about 100gb of movies =( xx

#9 krazy2chat

krazy2chat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:13 PM

someone was telling me about this thing u can buy, which u insert the actual chip thing from the hard drive into it, and it can be used again? for about 15-25 or is that total rubbish? x

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:42 PM

u insert the actual chip thing from the hard drive into it

I don't think the hard drive that you have has a "chip thing" that you describe. It has a regular platter
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:15 PM

Garm; could you be able to place those platters on an Internal Hard Drive and retrieve them? (place it as a slave) Or is that not possible..?

Edited by Swordie, 04 March 2009 - 11:15 PM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:34 AM

About the only way to retrieve that information would be to use forensic techniques, like using Magnetic force microscopy (MFM) which images the spatial variation of magnetic forces on a sample surface. A MFM is a variety of what most people simply term an electron microscope. If you are having trouble sleeping you should read this article.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 krazy2chat

krazy2chat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:20 AM

wow that sounds complicated =| i think the only way to get my stuff back would be sending it off to techies..x

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:39 AM

i think the only way to get my stuff back would be sending it off to techies..x

As dc3 stated, this is done in an ultra-clean room in a laboratory setting with special equipment
Prices may start between $500 to $1000 and quickly escalate

Garm; could you be able to place those platters on an Internal Hard Drive and retrieve them? (place it as a slave) Or is that not possible..?

No, it would be impossible
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#15 krazy2chat

krazy2chat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:09 PM

"someone was telling me about this thing u can buy, which u insert the actual chip thing from the hard drive into it, and it can be used again? for about 15-25 or is that total rubbish? x"

the "thing" is called an enclosure =) xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users