Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mysterious mouse issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ilves

ilves

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:20 PM

so my mouse freaked out on me a few days ago and now the left click functions as my right click and the right click doesn't do anything. All other functions like moving around or the mouse wheel work fine. Obviously, its difficult to work a computer with no left click (especially games), so I'm a little annoyed. Also, half the time when I'm looking at an internet browser window I can click on all the program buttons at the top but i can't click on any hyperlinks in the main page. If i alt-tab out of the window and alt-tab back in, i can click on the hyperlinks but not on the program buttons (like refresh, etc), very bizarre.

To fix the problem I've tried:

Using a different mouse (same problem, i tried a total of 3 mice)
switching usb ports (same problem. plus my keyboard, which is usb as well, works fine)
uninstalling/reinstalling mouse drivers
uninstalling mouse drivers and installing generic windows mouse drivers
malware scan (malwarebytes and ad-aware, found nothing)
kaspersky online virus scan (i don't have a good anti-virus program but this one found nothing)
resetting mouse settings in the control panel (did nothing, flipping the right and left click buttons in the control panel also did not affect anything)
system restore (fixed the problem for about 15 minutes)

so, based on this, i'm thinking this isn't a mouse issue, or a usb port issue, so probably some type of software glitch or hidden malware. I don't know of any hardware failures that would cause this specific of an issue. Anyone have any other ideas besides an OS re-install that could help me solve this?

oh and I'm using windows XP, the original mouse is a razor diamondhead (razor drivers originally but i tried generic windows drivers with generic mice as well), but the other two mice are pretty standard cheapo mice.

Edited by ilves, 03 March 2009 - 10:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:49 AM

Using a different mouse (same problem, i tried a total of 3 mice)

All of them USB?
Have you tried a PS/2 mouse?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users