Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Issues..intermittently works and doesn't

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sunni_is_blue

Sunni_is_blue

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:44 PM

Hello! hoping for some help here. I have 4 USB connections on my computer. Two in the front, two in the back. The problem is they will just stop working on me. I use a headset and I have had to move it from one connection to another and now I'm out of connections that will work properly. I know it's not the headsets, I've bought new ones and tried ones with the jacks. Have those connections on the front. Trouble is same with that too come to think of it.

Anyone I am talking to can hear me. But I cannot hear them. Now that is the beginning of the end for each usb connection. Then they just stop working altogether. I've tried rebooting the router and it doesn't help. (well the one that is on the blink that is, the others just quit)

Am I missing something?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm using winxp SP3. Also I've run a dxdiag and the sound testing doesnt work. Not hearing them. But when I check my USB connections they all say working properly.

Thanks in advance!

Sunni

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

Simple answer: Buy/install a PCI USB 2.0 card.

Not-so-simple answer: OK, we can try to troubleshoot.

Go into Device Manager (Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit OK/Enter) and uninstall all USB controllers. Reboot...check Device Manager and the USB ports for functionality.

My suggestion would be to use other USB devices...when checking whether the ports work properly. Nix the headphones.

Louis

#3 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:05 PM

Louis; this one's for you!

When you "fry" an USB Drive, does it automatically mean your PCI USB is burnt out, and you gotta buy a new one? Someone else has a "similar" issue as well..
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#4 Sunni_is_blue

Sunni_is_blue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:48 PM

Simple answer: Buy/install a PCI USB 2.0 card.

Not-so-simple answer: OK, we can try to troubleshoot.

Go into Device Manager (Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit OK/Enter) and uninstall all USB controllers. Reboot...check Device Manager and the USB ports for functionality.

My suggestion would be to use other USB devices...when checking whether the ports work properly. Nix the headphones.

Louis

Okay, did as suggested and they all say upon reboot functioning properly. I've tried using them with mouse and keyboard and they are working. What gets me is the headset will allow me to speak from the mic yet I can't hear. So I guess it's the headset.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users