Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linking to Works Spreedsheet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scruffbag

scruffbag

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:14 PM

Hi,

I've created a spreadsheet in Microsoft Works Spreadsheet as a simple order form and have created a link to it from a web page.

When testing it locally on clicking on the link sure enough a download pane popped up giving the option to open or save the file.

Having uploaded the site to the server (a windows server with FP extensions installed) clicking on the link gives a 404 error. Is there a particular way to link to a spreadsheet file to enable a download?

Thanks
Derek Smith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:46 PM

A spreadsheet file should be no different than any other kind of file. However, a 404 error means that the file can not be found. I'm not sure if I can explain this properly, but here goes. When you are testing locally, you know where the file is in relation to the web-page. Once the file and web page are uploaded, there is no guarantee that the files are going to be in the same place in relation to the web page. Typically, servers carve out a separate areas for file storage as a means of keeping the directory structure clean. For example, web pages go in one directory, downloadable files go in another directory, images go in another directory, etc.

Long story short, double check the path name to the file on the server and verify that it is the same as in the web page.

#3 scruffbag

scruffbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:30 PM

Hi Groovicus,

Thanks for that, at least you had reassured me that what I thought and what I'd done was right.

Just discovered that I had to add the file extension for the particular spreed sheet, ".xlr" as an additional "MIME Type". I don't pretend to wholly understand why or what a MIME Type is but I did and it worked.

The article here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942032/ is what put me on the right track, together with seeing MIME somewhere in my hosts control panel.

I had begun to think I was going mad, good to have someone to bounce off :thumbsup: :flowers:

Thanks again
Derek Smith

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:13 PM

Hmm. Glad you got it sorted. I would have never thought about the mime type being incorrect. I'll tuck that away for future reference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users