Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Burner won't burn

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

Oops sorry, I think I posted this in the Utilities forum by mistake, so here it is again-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Just bung a blank DVD in and follow the prompts" said the shop yesterday, but my first attempt at burning military photos from my HD to disk quickly fizzled out.
I opened Nero, selected 'Burn to disk", but my HD Pictures folder showed empty even though I'd selected "Show all supported images"
Is Nero telling me it can't burn my pics because it doesn't support them?
They're a mix of ordinary PNG/ JPG/ GIF and are on plain view in my pics folder but apparently Nero can't see them?

Obviously I need help, any suggestions?
Thanks, I'm Win XP Home

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:40 PM

I thought that I replied to this...I probably did so as it was being moved. In any case...

Did you read the instructions for using Nero? What version do you have installed?

The shop should have added the qualifier..."After you've done this once or twice" to their statement :thumbsup:.

My version of Nero (6.6) requires several key decisions before beginning to gather files to be burned. I must select whether I want to burn a DVD or a CD...I must select the type of CD/DVD...then I need to select the files/folders which I want to burn.

Before I press the BURN button, I must also decide whether I want a multisession disk (no).

Did you get any error messages during/after the burn session?

If you tell us (step-by-step) what you did and what the result was, someone can try to piece it together.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 March 2009 - 05:50 PM.

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:35 PM

I give up!
I just wasted half an hour trying to decipher the lumbering great manual but it left me more confused than before and my second attempt to burn failed miserably.
Thanks for your advice but I'm off now to search the net for an ultra-simple "how to burn step-by-step tutorial"..;)

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:59 PM

Open Nero
On the top left should be a gold star
Put your mouse pointer on the star
A selection should appear
Click on Make a data DVD
The Nero box should disappear
In a few seconds a new one should appear
On the right click on Add
Another box should open
At the top it should show My Documents by default
If it doesn't use the drop down menu to get My Documents
In the box to the right there should be a list of folders
Locate My Pictures [or the folder your pictures is in] & double click it
The folder should open
Click om a picture name in the box & at the bottom right click Add
Do that for each picture you want on the disk
When you have all you want added
On the bottom of the box next to Add click finished
The box should disappear leaving the Nero Express box
At the bottom right click Next
Make sure the correct drive is selected where it says Current Recorder
[The box should show your DVD burner]
At the bottom right click Burn

Edited by fairjoeblue, 07 March 2009 - 02:19 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:20 AM

Okay thanks guys, Fairjoe's tut seems to have done the trick and I've burned a load of photos to DVD..:thumbsup:
Just a couple more questions-

1- I named the disk 'Photos' so shall I jot that down on a sticky label and slap it on the disk, or can't we do that with disks?
Or shall I write it in pencil or Biro on the disk itself?

2- Could I wipe everything from it and re-use it in the future for something else if I wanted to?

3- Is there a way to protect the disk from accidental erasure?

4- Don't laugh, but why have I got two drives in my PC?
One is a DVD-RAM Drive (E:) for game-playing and playing video CD's/DVD's, and the program just auto-used it to burn, so its obviously a multi-talented drive.

But I've also got a DVD Drive (D:) above it in the face of the tower case (it came ready-fitted), so to ask a stupid question-what's it for?

Thanks

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:30 AM

1. Never ever use sticky labels. A permanent marker will suffice.

2. Not unless it is a "DVD-RW" or "DVD-RAM" media.

3. As long as it is a DVD-R/DVD+R the data is there until the disk degrades. Avoid UV, humidity, rough handling/scratches. Avoid garbage/no name media.

4. I used my DVD ROM drive for everyday reading/games stc. My DVD burner was used for burning. Eventhough burners are cheap now, when I got involved with PCs a Mitsumi 2X burner was $250US. I didn't want to use that drive anymore than I had to. Now I have 4 burners in my main rig (I do a lot of data recovery for clients), and each drive writes and reads different media better than the other.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:14 AM

Okay thanks.
Another question- why is the IE logo plastered over my photo thumbnails on the disk I've just burnt them to?
I've clicked around the view options looking for a way to get rid of the logo with no success, any suggestions?

Posted Image

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:35 PM

<<why is the IE logo plastered over my photo thumbnails on the disk I've just burnt them to?>>

Probably because your file associations are incorrect..which you can change by going Explorer\Tools\Folder Options\File Types tab.

How to change file associations in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...p;product=winxp

For some files without a definite association, IE may be the default program for opening/viewing such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users